+ Post New Thread
Windows Server 2008 Thread, How to share a folder to only one user? in Technical; Hi guys/gals, Forgive me for the probably daft question but i am fresh off of an apprenticeship and still not ...

Thank Post

How to share a folder to only one user?

Hi guys/gals,
    Forgive me for the probably daft question but i am fresh off of an apprenticeship and still not too knowledgeable... This morning a user came to me and asked to have a shared folder to be set up just for her and one other user due to confidential info tht will be stored there. I have tried putting a new folder on te servers public drive and setting the security in properties to give the 2 users control but deny all others, how ever i had a message pop up telling me that if they are denied in the staff section yet allowed for just they're account they will still be denied access.
    Could anyone help me out with making one folder in the public drive that no one but 2 specific users can get access to.

Thanks a tonne in advance!

Thank Post
    Yeah a deny on the group membership will override the allow permission for the user.

What you want to do is create your folder on the public drive, edit the properties and go to the advanced section of the security tab. Untick the box to inherit permissions from the parent folder and select Remove when asked what you want to do with the current permissions. This will leave your permissions list blank. Now just add in the 2 users you want with modify permissions.

Remember, you don't have to specifically deny user accounts, having no reference to them at all is just as effective

3. Thanks to themightymrp from:

burnsyb0y (21st October 2013)

Thank Post
    Worked just great, thanks Mrp!

Thank Post
    yes MRP is quite correct - Remember only use Deny's as a last resort. That's even how Microsoft suggests you use them.
    Simply set your folders to Allow the correct people rather than Denying them - you'll save your self hours of headaches in the future

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ukwebb View Post
    yes MRP is quite correct - Remember only use Deny's as a last resort. That's even how Microsoft suggests you use them.
    Simply set your folders to Allow the correct people rather than Denying them - you'll save your self hours of headaches in the future

Can I just add -

When someone says I want noone to have access to this folder, you need to always add the administrators in as well as what they say!

It's SUCH a pain when you come to later do something like run treesize to see what is hogging the drive, as it will always conk out!! As long as the administrators group (domain admins) is a controlled group then you will be fine from a compliance pov.

Thank Post
    Don't forget, dependant on your set-up, you may also have to add the system user with at least read rights to allow backup.

8. Thanks to clareq from:

Jamo (21st October 2013)

Thank Post
    As they said

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread