+ Post New Thread
Windows Server 2008 Thread, Server 2008, client side extensions, XP and GPP. in Technical; Hi All, I have a question for you good Edugeekers about which server pushes out these things as we have ...
    Thank Post

Server 2008, client side extensions, XP and GPP.

Hi All,

I have a question for you good Edugeekers about which server pushes out these things as we have mixed 2003 & 2008 DC's sharing the load and only 2008 has GPP I think, so I'm not sure if these are actually being pushed to the XP machines. Is it client side extensions for XP that are needed to enable this and are they installed on the local machine, set by profile or what?

I have no mass deployment running so it would be a manual client install if necessary.

I think I'm right in saying that as there are 2 DC's and they replicate between themselves, if a GPO, AD entry, profile or such is changed on one then it will shortly be replicated and mirrored by the other, but if my Server2003 doesn't have them it will not be there to push out if that is where the client has looked for its Group Policy.

Therefore, if in AD the profile path is \\Server2003\profiles\pupil.pdm will it ever look at its \\Server2008\profiles\pupil.pdm counterpart for its logon info, profile, GPO settings etc?

Or in other words, if Server2003 is my logon server (echo %logonserver% in a cmd prompt) how do I know if the GPP's set in the 2008 server Group Policy are even applying?

Sorry if the question seems a bit jumbled and confused, but so is my mind!

Kol.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Koldov View Post
    Is it client side extensions for XP that are needed to enable this and are they installed on the local machine, set by profile or what?
    You need to install the CSE update from here on all your XP machines. You can push this out using WSUS if you have it set up, but you will need to sync the feature packs category before it will show up in WSUS.

Or in other words, if Server2003 is my logon server (echo %logonserver% in a cmd prompt) how do I know if the GPP's set in the 2008 server Group Policy are even applying?
    You could set up the Folders bit in GPP to create a folder somewhere on the machine (e.g. to create a new folder on the root of C:\ called test, you would use the Machine config GPP Folder option rather than the GPP section under User Config, then reboot the machine and see if the folder is created when the policy applies)

3. Thanks to computer_expert from:

Koldov (12th September 2013)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread