+ Post New Thread
Windows Server 2008 Thread, Windows Server Backup in Technical; Hi, Just wondering what the best practise is for using Windows Server Backup on Server 2008 with it having a ...

Thank Post

Windows Server Backup

Hi,

Just wondering what the best practise is for using Windows Server Backup on Server 2008 with it having a software limitation of not being able to run scheduled backups to a network drive. Not long been in my current school and the previous technician has left me with a 2TB USB hard drive connected to the DC where the backups are saved onto, and a 2TB NAS drive sat on the network not doing anything (I presume he purchased the NAS before realising the software limitation and then purchased the USB drive). Backups are working fine but there's the issue of the USB drive being sat on top of the server if there's a disaster that destroys the server room.

The first thing that springs to mind is to put the NAS somewhere else in the building. I know I could set a manual backup that will save it on the NAS and create an entry for it in task scheduler, but that overwrites the backup rather than doing an incremental one. So I was thinking to then leave the backup going to the USB drive, and then schedule robocopy to copy the contents of the USB drive to the NAS drive. The folder is currently 265GB, which seems a large amount to be transferring everyday but if I did it weekly, we could potentially lose a weeks worth of data.

Is there any better way of doing this?

Thanks.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,572 Times in 1,252 Posts
    Take a look at Backup Assist. It uses Windows Server technologies, but provides considerably more options and allows you to backup to a NAS as required.

Thank Post
    you can iirc schedulr backups on 2008 BUT you have to use task scheduler and batch files to do it

Thank Post
    Thanks for the replies. I'll probably just go with transferring from the USB drive to the NAS drive with robocopy once a day. I'd like to keep it as close to the process I've used and trusted on Server 2003 with NTBackup, this just means having to use a USB drive in the middle of the process.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread

Thread Information