+ Post New Thread
Windows Server 2008 Thread, I have a little problem... in Technical; Hi! First of all sorry for my english, i learn, but i never master it. This is my first time ...

Thank Post

Exclamation I have a little problem...

Hi! First of all sorry for my english, i learn, but i never master it. This is my first time in the forum as member, i always use it to seek knowledge but i never write anything, and now im in a little problem and i need some help... Ok, here is the problem.

I have a Novell server in Linux in a high school in Buenos Aires, Argentina, the past few weeks my partners and i, are having some troubles in our hands, the network is growing every day, and we cant keep supporting this with only one linux server.

I can buy a new server and start again, but the problem is that the system manager wants a Windows server 2008. So we have to start from 0 and install a Windows, dont get me wrong, i always use windows, but the problem is most of the software we use in the server doesnt exist for Windows. Like Pcounter for example, and i need to find out how i can keep the things going without all the systems fall apart...

So actually i need a replacement for some of the soft... Pcounter is one, i have a network with novell, i think if i have to use windows i will create a domain, and use active directory to manage the access permissions... How do you think it will work?

Thanks for your time, and again, sorry for my english.

Good luck!

Thank Post
    PCounter works fine on Windows, We run it on a few servers/schools.

Is there any other software you're worried about missing?

In terms of the basic network yes creating a new domain, with AD managing users etc would be the way to go.

Steve

Thank Post
    Thanks for the quick reply! I didnt know that Pcounter can work on windows, i hope i can use the same serial instead of buy it again... I have some programs that the kids use directly from the server but i guess with a little help from daddy Google, i can find a good replacement, like Perico, Blender, Avidemux, and others... The Pcounter was my biggest problem, cause i manage the printers, print "cash", number of prints, and a huge data base of the tp for the kids...

Well, thanks a lot Steve21!!

And good luck!

Thank Post
    Aye there's a lot of software out there, whether it's free/open source alternatives or "industry standard" style.

In terms of the PCounter license I'm honestly not sure how it works with transferring it, so would need to contact your support on that one.

Good luck

Steve

Thank Post
    No apology necessary for your English - your have explained your issue
    why not expand the Linux platform with additional servers ?

If your manager is set on windows , I would not install 2008 now that 2012 is available.
    you may also be able to export the user details from Novell and import into Active Directory (AD) - its been a long time since i worked with Novell (3.12)
    If you have Pcounter maintenance - get in touch with support about changing from linux to windows
    Last edited by AlClark; 18th June 2013 at 11:33 PM. Reason: spelling

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Geek2rock View Post
    So actually i need a replacement for some of the soft... Pcounter is one, i have a network with novell, i think if i have to use windows i will create a domain, and use active directory to manage the access permissions... How do you think it will work?
    Samba 4 now supports operating as a Domain Controller, so you can now have a Linux Domain Controller running your network. I have my own small network at home running like this, which works fine - my Windows 8 Pro machine joined the Linux-provided domain with no problems. You still use a Windows machine to administer Active Directory, you just have the admin tools connect to your Samba server.

Thank Post
    You should be able to transfer your licence for PCounter from 1 server to another. We currently have annual maintenance on PCounter and I've moved 2 instances of PCounter in the last 12 months without issue. You just need to provide the old server name and the new server name and they will generate a new key for that server instance.

1 thing you can do is download the PCounter software and run it in evaluation mode (provides the full version) for 60 days which should give you time to move everything over and test the settings before commiting to the transfer. If in doubt try contacting your supplier and they should be able to provide you with more details.

Thank Post
    Wow thanks for all the answers! Well, first Alclark nothing would be better for me right now, that add a new server and stay like this, but we not only are having problems with some soft, also the "latency" (i dont knos the exact word) when you enters to the server and want to grab a file, o if you are a teacher and want to live there a assignment for a kid... After a long time surfing, i found the problem inside a Novell forum, there are too much computers online at the same time in the network...

The manager ask for Windows 2008 cause is the one i have the Certification to get running, and working (plus he have a licence)...

Now, 1 thing that make my life a lot easier, you really think i can export the user details from Novell and import into Active Directory?? Cause that will be awesome...

Thanks for all!

Thank Post
    Sorry to penfold and dhicks, i was a little sleepy when i read this, and i didnt see the replys... I beliebe i would yry to use the evaluation mode to determine if all can work like a good engine... Thanks for the Samba 4 idea, but i believe the manager wont allow that... He left the things very clear, he want windows...

Thanks for all the help!!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread