+ Post New Thread
Windows Server 2008 Thread, Expand DHCP scope - none destructive in Technical; Good Afternoon, Like a lot of you I have two networks in the school, my curriculam side and my admin ...

Thank Post

Expand DHCP scope - none destructive

Good Afternoon,

Like a lot of you I have two networks in the school, my curriculam side and my admin side.

MY curriculum side is 192.168.1.0 and my admin side is 10. IP range so I'm fine with that.

Basically I'm looking to expand the scope on my 192.168.1.0 range to allow more than 254 addresses as I'm approaching capacity, the problem is I'd like this as none destructive as possible as the network has been configured well before I arrived so I am only moderately familiar with and being a school there is little room for everythign going down the pan whilst I fix the kinks.

I've read things about re-subnetting and super scoping etc but am undecided on the best action to take.

As it stands at the moment I have 2 DC's, a TMG server and 190 or so clients on my 192.168.1.0 scope, as well as things like printers, IP CCTV and IP Doors, I also have a trust between my admin and curriculam network for SIMS access and it's affecting that which is making me the most nervous.

Is there a way I can expand my scope without then going in and possibly having to reconfigure everything on the network?

Cheers in advance

zag
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Expanding the subnet is pretty easy, just do something like 255.255.252.0 and you should get over 1000 IP's. Just make sure you update all your devices like printers and static server IP's. You can work out the range using any subnet calculator on the web.

Why do you still have 2 ranges? I merged our networks 8 years ago, there is no point in having 2 separate domains really these days. It might be worth fixing that first.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by zag View Post
    Why do you still have 2 ranges? I merged our networks 8 years ago, there is no point in having 2 separate domains really these days. It might be worth fixing that first.
    As said it was like that as I arrived, though I'm pretty sure it's like that for redundancy, or something to do with access to finance information being kept totally separate, it's never something I'd given a second thought to, you say there is no point "these days" what was the point in day sgone by and why is that point no longer valid?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread