+ Post New Thread
Windows Server 2008 Thread, Monitor displaying "out of range" ... in Technical; Hi All, I know this isn't technically Server '08 related, but the fix may be OS specific. I've just taken ...
    Thank Post

Monitor displaying "out of range" ...

Hi All,

I know this isn't technically Server '08 related, but the fix may be OS specific.

I've just taken on a new School and when I went to check the server the monitor was giving this error.

I know it's probably related to the resolution/refresh rate but how can I fix it?

I can Remote Desktop in no problem, but there is no option to change resolution (rather it is greyed out).

I don't want to install/reinstall graphics card drivers (and the associated reboot) safe mode or anything else that will mean downtime if I can help it, as I only visit when necessary and only in School hours.

Any ideas?

Kol.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,188 Times in 1,493 Posts
    Blog Entries
    If you have any newer monitors, borrow one during lunch/break to connect to the server, change the resolution/refresh and then pop it back in.

Luckily, I didn't get this with monitors, but I had the same problem with projectors in classes.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Koldov View Post
    Hi All,

I know this isn't technically Server '08 related, but the fix may be OS specific.

I've just taken on a new School and when I went to check the server the monitor was giving this error.

I know it's probably related to the resolution/refresh rate but how can I fix it?

I can Remote Desktop in no problem, but there is no option to change resolution (rather it is greyed out).

I don't want to install/reinstall graphics card drivers (and the associated reboot) safe mode or anything else that will mean downtime if I can help it, as I only visit when necessary and only in School hours.

Any ideas?

Kol.
    Instead of connecting remotely using RDP, try using a flavour of VNC instead. That will allow you to directly control the console and change the resolution. The only thing you'll have to remember is that it will disconnect you when you change the resolution so dial back in quickly to press the "keep changes" button afterwards.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by X-13 View Post
    If you have any newer monitors, borrow one during lunch/break to connect to the server, change the resolution/refresh and then pop it back in.
    Yeah I did try this, maybe the other monitor wasn't up to the resolution either (actually I can't even work out what resolution it's trying to display!) Unfortunately it's an Infant School with only 1 or 2PC's for the admin, mainly laptops), I wonder why the Server resolution was ever changed....?

Maybe someone used RDP with a high resolution. One thing I did Google across at the time was a few hits about the RDP session changing the resolution/refresh rate of the target... Anyone know if this is possible, before I get back there? Nobody I saw really understood and thought they were asking about the RDP sessions resolution!

This type of thing...

Frequency Out of Range after Remote Desktop - Remote Desktop - Windows XP

Monitor out of range after using remote desktop - Windows XP Work Remotely

Kol.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,188 Times in 1,493 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Koldov View Post
    I wonder why the Server resolution was ever changed....?
    Auto-detect?Also, it may be the refresh rate. Ours max out at 85hz, but hardly any of our projectors can actually display it... I have to drop them back down to 60hz.

It may be a case of the resolution being fine but the refresh being too high. [IIRC, LCD monitors don't even USE the refresh... but it still breaks them.]
    Last edited by X-13; 26th April 2013 at 02:47 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by X-13 View Post
    Auto-detect?
    Isn't that for monitors physically connected? Or do those over RDP connections count too?

I presume this must be an issue if others have noticed it, as I don't think the physical monitor attached to the server has been moved/changed for years (if the dust is anything to go by) and guess in that case it's the original, which must of worked.

Kol.

Thank Post
    Just to say I fixed this! It appears the message was actually 'INPUT NOT SUPPORTED' but that's the same thing I guess.

Luckily they have a little box in the same room running a TV screen out in the reception (VGA over Ethernet). Swapped the cables and got a screen up hooray! Cue lots of confused people watching me run in to the reception, look at the screen and run back to the server room for almost every mouse button press lol!

Turns out it was something to do with it still being signed on at the physical machine as a support account, rather than the admin account and I'm guessing for some reason the support account was logged into and the resolution changed... Then couldn't sign out as they lost the screen lol. Thinking now, a remote in as admin to log out the support account through 'TERMINAL SERVICES MANAGER' might have done the trick, not sure though if it changes the resolution on log-out or log-in...

Kol.
    Last edited by Koldov; 1st May 2013 at 10:11 AM.

Thank Post
    This sometimes happens on my windows 7 box. I use the windows + p combo (works locked or not logged in) to just change the screens (random presses) until it redetects the display and shows correctly. Works in server 2008r2 as well.

9. Thanks to chazzy2501 from:

Koldov (1st May 2013)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by chazzy2501 View Post
    This sometimes happens on my windows 7 box. I use the windows + p combo (works locked or not logged in) to just change the screens (random presses) until it redetects the display and shows correctly. Works in server 2008r2 as well.
    That might of saved some time (and running about lol)...

I have to say I'm a bit confused as to how it happened...

Guess I'll never know, another of life's little mysteries...

Kol.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread