+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Windows Server 2008 Thread, New server - what do?! in Technical; Ok, I'll do it your way! Now I'm left with a server called 'newgateway'..oops! Anyway, we're days from that point ...
    Thank Post
    Ok, I'll do it your way! Now I'm left with a server called 'newgateway'..oops!

Anyway, we're days from that point yet, Robocopy is currently doing its thing.

EDIT: Seems some people have success: Rename a DC
    Last edited by quietriot1983; 11th March 2013 at 02:27 PM.

Thank Post
    At what point should I export DHCP from the old server and move it to the new one? Before I transfer FSMO roles, or after?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,510 Times in 1,206 Posts
    Once you've promoted the new server to a DC, add the DHCP Server role, then migrate DHCP out of hours. That's the easiest way, then update DNS servers as required.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by quietriot1983 View Post
    Ok, I'll do it your way! Now I'm left with a server called 'newgateway'..oops!

Anyway, we're days from that point yet, Robocopy is currently doing its thing.

EDIT: Seems some people have success: Rename a DC

i would never ever rename the dc the same name ,,, there is a reason why microsoft state when you demote the old dc that you must never use the name again.. your going to run into so many issues and problems it will take you longer to resolve.. alot people said it hear ill spell it out.. if you rename it to the old name you will cripple your active directory! best thing to do is put a dns entry in of the old server but make sure you have demoted the old server first otherwise you will break replication..

personally i would go nd modify all the laptops rather than mess about with trying get the dc the same name... i would also backtrack if i was u and demote the new server and rename it to a new name e.g DC1 or something simple and then promote it again and plan ahead before you jump in.. believe me this comes from experience of fudging a active directory in the past.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by victory2012 View Post
    personally i would go nd modify all the laptops rather than mess about with trying get the dc the same name... i would also backtrack if i was u and demote the new server and rename it to a new name e.g DC1 or something simple and then promote it again and plan ahead before you jump in.. believe me this comes from experience of fudging a active directory in the past.
    Ah, the long line of experience. Fudging AD, we've all been there. If you need to demote an DC, for any reason, double check it had been completely removed and make sure you give replication enough time to do it's job before promoting another DC. Especially if you've done anything to FSMO roles! You can't demote a DC that has an FMSO role, and you want to be 110% certain ownership of the role has been successfully transferred before you demote. Check out the Meta Data Cleanup function in the ntdsutil command and check that all mention of the demoted DC has been deleted from DNS.

The most important thing with DC's is time. Make sure you give it a couple of days between each step for things to settle and replication to occur. From memory default replication is every 24hrs +/- a random amount of time (upto 4 hours) - so it can be 28hrs between replications! (default settings, can be changed in local GPO's on the DC's).

EDIT: As for DHCP, anytime - it's a standalone server function. Just make sure you don't have DHCP active on both DC's at the same time! I tend to setup DHCP a fresh each time rather than migrate settings, but that depends on how much your changed in the DHCP options.
    Last edited by tmcd35; 13th March 2013 at 10:40 AM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,510 Times in 1,206 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tmcd35 View Post
    EDIT: As for DHCP, anytime - it's a standalone server function. Just make sure you don't have DHCP active on both DC's at the same time! I tend to setup DHCP a fresh each time rather than migrate settings, but that depends on how much your changed in the DHCP options.
    You can have DHCP on every DC if required. You just need to enable Conflict Detection in DHCP Server.

Thank Post
    I've (successfully?!) moved DHCP to the new DC, and disabled it on the old one...time for a brew.

Thank Post
    Well, as soon as I unplugged the old server, EVERYTHING disappeared. DHCP, AD..everything.

Ended up cloning, repairing then upgrading. Much easier.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12