+ Post New Thread
Windows Server 2008 Thread, Windows 2008 backups and iscsi in Technical; Hello all, Over the last few days my scheduled backups have started failing giving me the error "access denied" I ...

Thank Post

Windows 2008 backups and iscsi

Hello all,

Over the last few days my scheduled backups have started failing giving me the error "access denied"

I thought this was odd so I did a one of backup to a different location and the backup worked fine, only for ther scheduled ones to fail over the weekend.

On my main windows backup screen is says the capacity on my destination is 999.98GB and used spaced is 472.13GB so that looked OK, I went to stop the scheduled backup to re-set it up but when I go to stop it is tells me the size is 1,000.00GB and used space is 999.98GB?

Is my problem simply that my disc is full? IF it is, how to do go about removing files from an iscsi device as I have has literlly 0 experiecne with iscsi devices, the device is a qnap external RAID box which I have to user name or password for as I was given no hand over for this job.

Anyone any pearls of wisdom?

Cheers.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,510 Times in 1,206 Posts
    Most NASes come with software that allows you to login or alternatively browse to its IP depending on how it's connected. This will tell you the RAID configuration as well as available space etc...

If you try copying a large file to the NAS, does it allow you to or does it report an error also?

Thank Post
    Yeah I have the IP and everything for the NAS, but then I get stuck because I have no credentials to access the drive, and because its all quite inmportant school data I don't want to overly mess with the NAS incase I put the data at risk.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by lquinnuk View Post
    Yeah I have the IP and everything for the NAS, but then I get stuck because I have no credentials to access the drive, and because its all quite inmportant school data I don't want to overly mess with the NAS incase I put the data at risk.
    Right well then I suggest you make the school/business aware of this and their options. Unless you can login a factory reset is the only option (as far as I know).

Thank Post
    Has anyone factory reset a qnap nas before? is anyone aware of what impact this would have on my data? obviously I would remove the drives first to be safe, are they likely to go back in and work?

Is there no way of seeing and using an iscsi device as a generic hard drive?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,116 Times in 1,012 Posts
    Has anyone factory reset a qnap nas before? is anyone aware of what impact this would have on my data? obviously I would remove the drives first to be safe, are they likely to go back in and work?

Most smaller Nas devices use a software raid system, So actually removing the drives from the device will mean it won't boot.

Toby

Thank Post

A factory reset would erase the data. As glenda mentioned, many NASes install the NAS OS from an internal flash drive onto the RAID array. I agree also the NAS would fail to boot with no drives.

Thank Post
    Is it defintely safe to use Windows Server Backup to write to an iSCSI volume? I was tempted, but put off by this:
    Windows Server Backup: Lost backup copies after iSCSI storage volume disconnections

Thank Post
    Well I created a new backup on an external drive for safe keeping and formatted my qnap to start again......now I can't reconnect the iscsi device, and as I have never really used iscsi am really struggling to connect it, all the qnap settings are the same but the iscsi initiator just cannot see or quick connect to the device....can anyone offer some assistance as I am screwed right now and have no backup media connected..

Thank Post
    it's cool everyone, kind of, for now, managed to find some old documentation from the old tech guy to follow....fingers crossed.

Thank Post
    Joy, the happiest sexiest progress bar of all time, I might watch the entire data transfer for the sheer enjoyment.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread