+ Post New Thread
Windows Server 2008 Thread, Raising Domain Functional Level - guidance? in Technical; Hello, Does anyone have any tried and tested advice for raising the domain functional level on Server 2008? Ours is ...

Thank Post

Raising Domain Functional Level - guidance?

Hello,

Does anyone have any tried and tested advice for raising the domain functional level on Server 2008? Ours is running in 2000 mode. I have done some research and have read a few horror stories. Can anyone offer any advice on how to safely do this?

Thanks.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by iSteve View Post
    Hello,

Does anyone have any tried and tested advice for raising the domain functional level on Server 2008? Ours is running in 2000 mode. I have done some research and have read a few horror stories. Can anyone offer any advice on how to safely do this?

Thanks.
    Step 1: Identify all Domain Controllers on the network. Ensure they are at least the version of Windows you are planning on raising the functional level to.

Step 2: Ensure your AD is perfectly working (DCDiag / NetDiag / Event log checks) on all Domain Controllers

Step 3: If you have had previously failed Exchange Servers or Domain Controllers complete a MetaData cleanup inside Active Directory (I will find links with instructions if you need them).

Step 4: Identify anything which is NOT windows based which links to AD for authentication (raising functional level above 2003 will change security settings within AD which could break/disable this functionality)

Step 5: Identify all FSMO roles within your Active Directory and ensure they are on live servers and working

Step 6: (and also Step 0!!!) Take full backups of all domain controllers

If all of the above succeeded and you have no concerns then the functional level change should be ok. I provide no guarantees at all (sorry)!

Remember to upgrade the Domain functional level before the Forest functional level.

Dave

Thank Post
    I did it yesterday, 2008 to 2008 R2. Got rid of the last of the 2008 DCs, made sure DNS was okay, then just clicked Raise Domain Functional Level. Did this for both parent and child domains, then the forest. The above guide is much less likely to result in pain if anything goes wrong though - but you do need to get off 2000 FL so work it through.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread