+ Post New Thread
Windows Server 2008 Thread, Domain profiles and Windows 7 in Technical; Firstly let me say that we already have Windows 7 machines on the network, and everyone can log into them. ...

Thank Post

Domain profiles and Windows 7

Firstly let me say that we already have Windows 7 machines on the network, and everyone can log into them. We have recently purchased a set of new Windows 7 laptops with 7 Pro and I have connected them all to the domain fine. But for some reason when I try to log into any of these new laptops with a normal domain user that has a profile set in AD, I get logged back off again before I reach the desktop. If I set the user so that it has no profile set in AD, it logs on fine. Obviously this would highlight their is a problem with the profile, but why doesn't this happen to the existing Windows 7 machines? I have tried creating new profiles from scratch, assigning them to a user, logging in and it still won't work. This then makes me think there's not a problem with the profiles, but a problem with the new laptops perhaps? I have also ensured that the registry is pointing to the right path for userinit.exe

Any help would be great, thanks!

Thank Post
    @Kineas sounds like you may have the GPO set for "Do not log users on with a temporary profile" and due to some problem with either creating or accessing a user profile for Win7 clients the user is not being logged on. This policy is a Computer Configuration policy, so may be different for the laptops/desktops depending on your GPOs/OUs.

Regards

Dave

ps. apologies if I have the GPO setting slightly wrong - am writing this from memory!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,630 Times in 1,103 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Check that the parent directory for your roaming profiles has permissions set for domain computers, so that the laptops can create the profile.V2 folder. That was an early problem here.

Thank Post
    Thanks for your replies. Group policy isn't set to not allow logging in with a temporary profile, and the permissions set on the profile directory and it's parent allow full control to everyone. Another thing I just tried is logging in while connected to the network via a cable rather than wireless, incase the profile was becoming corrupt with any packet loss, but that still didn't work

Thank Post
    Is there anything showing in the System or Application event logs on the client machine when this happens?

Dave

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,630 Times in 1,103 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kineas View Post
    Thanks for your replies. Group policy isn't set to not allow logging in with a temporary profile, and the permissions set on the profile directory and it's parent allow full control to everyone. Another thing I just tried is logging in while connected to the network via a cable rather than wireless, incase the profile was becoming corrupt with any packet loss, but that still didn't work
    I'm not sure if Everyone implies Domain Computers - may be worth adding it explicitly to be certain

(Everyone is generally a bad idea anyway, Authorised Users is better)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread