Ok here goes the folowling has been driving me mad. I am setting up a vle in school, we host the vle our selves. I have set up a windows 2008 R2 IIs 7 all ok I installed sql and php etc, The school bought the domain name vle-ohgs.net on our isp I set up an A record to direct traffic to our external address and on the firewall set up a NAT forwarder to the server hosting the vle. So if I type in vle-ohgs.net from anywhere except inside school I get the vle page. Now what I need inside school is to type the external address and for it to resolve to the internal server. I believe this is done on the DNS server in school, through the forwarding but can I do this NO. Please can someone help me.
you don't want dns forwarding but you want to create another dns zone for you vle - Just create a new forward lookup zone for vle-ohgs.net and then add a host A record which has an empty name field as this will then give the whole domain name a dns entry. if you then want to create sub-domains internally you can they just add a records for test.vle-ohgs.net etc
On your internal DNS create a forward look up zone that has the same domain name as you use outside ( lets say school.com) and set an a record for your server ( vle) . So when they lookup vle.school.com its your dns server that returns the internal ip address.
Is this Primary or secondary zone
For the A record in the ip address do I add the internal ip address of the Vle. Do I tick create PTR record
yeah with no name - and then when it is entered it should say same as parent folder
Originally Posted by TB64
then i would do www. pointing to the same ip as then you can connect to your server using both www.domain.com and domain.com
or you could do something like
Ok thanks for all your help it works. The 1 problem not major is this error
Incorrect access detected, this server may be accessed only through "http://www.vle-ohgs.net/moodle" address, sorry.
Please notify server administrator.
this happens when you type http://vle-ohgs.net.
Ok solved took www. out of a config.php in moodle works fine now.