Trying to setup start menus & Desktop Redirected for Windows 7 & XP
We have different software in diffrent locations so we need diffrent start menus for the diffrent locations
So what I believe you need to do is
- Have the locations in there own folder (Already had this for the diffrent software policys)
- Enable Loopback with merge under computer settings in group policy
- A policy with the correct locations link for the folder redirections
So what I done
- Made a folder in AD called Windows XP Test Layout
- Made a folder in AD called Windows 7 Test Layout
- Where we keep our normal start menu & desktop shorcuts I made some new folders so it goes like this
XP \Room Location Folder \Staff & Student Folders, & Inside Both of them - Desktop & Start menu
7 \Room Location Folder \Staff & Student Folders, & Inside Both of them - Desktop & Start menu
And of In the Desktop & Start menu the shortcuts
- Made 2 new policys, one for each of the new xp & windows 7 test layouts, settings were the required Redirected Folders, start menu and desktop had three user groups defined in it, Admin, Students and Staff, had they have slightlly diffrent shortcuts (Admin accounts I used the Staff Shorcuts for the time being)
I made the XP policy from Server 2003 R2 and the Windows 7 from a temp Server 2008 R2 I setup to get the policys setup for Windows 7 (Will upgrade from Windows Server 2003 R2 Server soon)
- Moved a XP computer in into the XP layout and a Windows 7 computer into the windows 7 layout
- Made a new policy for the students, with just only one setting (Disable 'All User Start Menu Shorcuts, made from Server 2003 R2),
did not do this with the admin account because we only have the documents redirected at the moment, so that shouldnt cause a problem, plus there are not many settings that can confint with the admin policy has only a few settings have been defined, students have a lot of settings defined ofcourse.
- After school hours I disabled the normal student policy and enabled the new one
- Windows 7 both the admin and student accound worked with no problem :D
- XP is redirecting but only the admin accound, doesnt work with the student account
- Also tried disable the default domain policy to check if that is conficting with it, that dindt work eithier, so the only policys running is for the xp computer is The layout policy were the computer is and the student policy where the student account is
So this is starting from scrath with the policys, so nothing should be conflicting!
Or is there something i done wrong?
Is there any perticlar settings needed for non admin on xp?
Any one have any sugguestions?, this is doing my head in!:mad:
Originally Posted by davep000
hello mate the best way we set up are profiles in vista was set up the group policy for xp as normal, therefore the way we done vista was logged into a vista machine on the domain and set the options there i dont know if its the same as win 7 but vista made a 2nd profile and it worked fine for us!