+ Post New Thread
Windows Server 2008 R2 Thread, Default printer paper size Letter not A4 in Technical; We have moved our printers over from 2003 >2008 and I've come up against something I'm not quite sure where ...

Thank Post

Default printer paper size Letter not A4

We have moved our printers over from 2003 >2008 and I've come up against something I'm not quite sure where the problem is. The printer is being installed from 2008 where it has an original size as A4 but when a user installs it defaults to letter. I've tried manually adding the problem printer to my machine and it install with a Letter default through GPO or manually. I've removed and re-installed the printer from both server & client with the same results.

When it comes to printing the printer is then complaining about it being the wrong size and doesn't print until you select the auto page on the printer. Any suggestions why the default paper isn't right?

Also for some reason the default print quality is getting photograph also which is not what is set on the server. It just seems like it's not picking up the correct server settings when being added.
    Last edited by penfold; 9th August 2012 at 03:23 PM.

Thank Post
    are you setting the size in the printing default page of the advanced tab on the printer properties on the server? I've got an HP 2025 which was doing this untill I wised up!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Oaktech View Post
    are you setting the size in the printing default page of the advanced tab on the printer properties on the server? I've got an HP 2025 which was doing this untill I wised up!
    This is one of the things, if using an ms app ( word / excel etc ) then make sure in page setup its set correctly

Also if you go through the menu system physically on the printer or through the web gui are the page sizes set correctly on the printer / copier etc ?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,497 Times in 1,343 Posts
    It doesn't have a language setting does it? I.e us instead of uk.

Ben

5. Thanks to plexer from:

mac_shinobi (9th August 2012)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,095 Times in 1,475 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Oaktech View Post
    This is what happened to me, too. I think there are two different places to set up the default paper size etc and it took me a while to find the second lot.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by witch View Post
    This is what happened to me, too. I think there are two different places to set up the default paper size etc and it took me a while to find the second lot.
    Printing Preferences and printing defaults under advanced tab within the driver / printer properties on the print server

8. Thanks to mac_shinobi from:

TheScarfedOne (9th August 2012)

Thank Post
    Turns out it was a driver issue. The page sizes had been set correctly on a x64 machine but on x86 it had letter by default. The printes have been migrated over from 2003-2008 and there was no driver ver listed on the server. Only when I checked the versions on two different clients did I notice that there was a more updated version for the x64. I updated the driver and it uses A4 but for some reason now it defaults to Photograph quality, but at least users can print ok until I can sort that out.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by penfold View Post
    I updated the driver and it uses A4 but for some reason now it defaults to Photograph quality, but at least users can print ok until I can sort that out.
    That will most likely be a setting on both printing preferences and printing defaults ( under advanced tab ) on the print server, when the printer gets re mapped presumably log off and back on and test again to see if its using the defaults ?

11. Thanks to mac_shinobi from:

penfold (10th August 2012)

Thank Post
    Thanks, have set that seems to have sorted the quality out

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread