+ Post New Thread
Windows Server 2008 R2 Thread, GPO Offline file sync. Folders but not files. in Technical; Hi, For our laptop users i would like to setup offline file sync for their own save areas. At the ...

Thank Post

GPO Offline file sync. Folders but not files.

Hi,

For our laptop users i would like to setup offline file sync for their own save areas.

At the minute i have setup a GPO and assigned \\server\users to be available offline. I have also set the sync to happen at logon and logoff.

When i now unplug the cable i am able to browse the folders but all of the files have a cross through them and will not open until the network is back online again.

Am i missing something here? We are using Win 7.

After i get this working i can look into stopping the computers caching everyone's docs.

Many thanks.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,572 Times in 1,252 Posts
    Even without Offline Files enabled (as I disable the service via GPO), if you unplug an Ethernet cable (whilst logged on), the notebook should automatically use the available wireless connection, but like you, I've seen the same problems with some (not all) files/folders with grey crosses on them.

The only solution I've found is a reboot, then the notebook works fine wirelessly. It seems to be a feature of Windows 7 which is probably a bug!

Thank Post
    It seems that if we manually right click a folder and select make forlder available offline then it all works ok. Its just the GPO that seems to have problems.

We might have to get them to log and manually do it.

Each laptop only has the one user as they are staff machines so shouldnt be much of a problem, hopefully. They take them out of school so it then that they will need their docs.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread