+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Windows Server 2008 R2 Thread, New Network in Technical; In the summer i am starting from scratch and building a whole new domain on 2008R2, ive just got a ...
    Thank Post

New Network

In the summer i am starting from scratch and building a whole new domain on 2008R2, ive just got a couple of questions and would be grateful of people input.

For the domain name im going to use the schools initials, for the fqdn i was going to go with schools_intials.academies_trust_initials.org. Should it be longer than that? my current domain has 5 words seperated by a full stop.

I am also going to host my own exchange and ditch the county emails as we are no longer county! I need to speak to my isp (lea!!) about getting the right ports unblocked to allow the emails to be passed to the exchange server. What ports does exchange server use? A quick google lists loads of different ones!!

Thank Post
    unless you need the domain to be visible to the outside world id keep it short something like school.internal adn even if it does need to be accessible from the outside world you can use aliases

Thank Post
    exchange will be, does that make a difference?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DSapseid View Post
    exchange will be, does that make a difference?
    pass i havnt touched exchange in years and then it was a few tweeks ive never set it up

Thank Post
    Don't make your domain too complicated. If you are not hosting the public facing web pages you can use a .local domain and if you do that just school_name.local will suffice. It also means that people won't get too freaked out by their pc telling them to log in to ABC.123.org

Exchange will need different ports open depending on whether you want to use POP or IMAP plus whatever authentication to LDAP requires. Microsoft's list is here TCP ports and Microsoft Exchange: In-depth discussion

Thank Post
    i thought .local was a bad idea as macs and other things use .local for something or other and can cause issues hence .internal

7. Thanks to sted from:

cromertech (21st June 2012)

Thank Post
    We're going to .internal in the summer. Keep it simple.

Thank Post
    We use our schools FQDN for our AD with split DNS, made things easier for us. For example Outlook Anywhere. That way mail.school.com is the address if you are inside school our outside. If inside our internal DNS servers resolve ito the private IP, if your offsite our external DNS servers resolive it to our public address.

Thank Post
    We've got our schools website domain name as our FQDN and wouldn't have it any other way.

It helps to create a new uniformed look (schoolname.county.sch.uk) and although you may not be part of a LEA you are still in a county somewhere.

We take it one step further for our internal websites by having staffhome.internal.schoolname.county.sch.uk (or whatever other internal site it maybe).

Thank Post
    so if my website is going to be schoolname.com then my domain should be called schoolname.com with the netbios name of say schoolname or schoolinitials?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sted View Post
    i thought .local was a bad idea as macs and other things use .local for something or other and can cause issues hence .internal
    Never come across any issues but then again don't have macs. Inherited the domain name and don't really want to go to the bother of changing it. I would prefer if it wasn't the generic windows 2000 domain name (the old tech just accepted the default)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DSapseid View Post
    so if my website is going to be schoolname.com then my domain should be called schoolname.com with the netbios name of say schoolname or schoolinitials?
    Lets say the school was called Green Hills, in staffordshire i would have my AD domain as greenhills.staffs.sch.uk and netbios of GREENHILLS

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sted View Post
    Used to be, I haven'th ad any issues at all with 10.7.3+.

I use .local (str.local) and it works fine. Just make sure your DNS is all OK

In terms of Exchange there are no issues as long as you set the MX handler on the external domain and sort the email address policies out

Good luck!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,993 Times in 932 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Moving to Server 2008 R2 forum as it's a server, and not a physical network issue.

Thank Post
    schoolname.internal is what we use for the AD domain for the afformentioned MAC issues.

the doamin hosts two OU's for our two schools across a 1Gb fiber 5Mile wan link,

For exchange make sure you buy a 5server SSL Certificate ( a go daddy one ) in order to fully support autodiscover and other services correctly on the outside world.

You seriously need to consider how you protect exchange from spam attacks. We use ClearOS as a mail realy between the outside world and the exchange server. We run BES/Exchange mailbox, Exchange CAS and the ClearOS servers all on one Xen5 Hypervisor.

Rob

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast