+ Post New Thread
Windows Server 2008 R2 Thread, A few folder redirection questions in Technical; I recently took over a few new schools and one does not currently have folder redirection set up. What are ...

Thank Post

A few folder redirection questions

I recently took over a few new schools and one does not currently have folder redirection set up.

What are the implications of setting up folder redirection on a network that does not use this? What happens to the network home folders, do they get merged with the files currently in the 'My documents' folder? What happens with any documents currently in 'My documents'?

Also I have noticed when installing some curriculum software it can complain about a users home folder when it is redirected saying the H:drive is not a valid folder or something like that. Any work around.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,510 Times in 1,206 Posts
    You're talking about two separate issues there -

Firstly, Folder Redirection of course controls the availability of applications. I suppose you need to make sure all workstations are using the same applications and the same versions. A good example is Word 2003 and Word 2010. The EXE's live in a different directory when installed.

It sounds as if users are storing Documents on the C:\ drive. Not exactly a good idea or a good setup. You can still map a H:\ drive for example and get users to move Documents themselves (unless you want to go round manually and update each user).

Thank Post
    Sorry yes two different issues.

1. School does not have folder redirection but does have network home drives that all users save too. I want to enable folder redirection but have also noticed some staff accentually save to the c:/docs folder and might also save photos to this folder, so I do not want these getting wiped out when folder redirection is enabled.

2. At the schools that do have folder redirection some of the older curriculum software will not install as it complains about the users 'my docs' being on the H: drive.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,510 Times in 1,206 Posts
    I can confirm documents wouldn't be wiped, they'd just not be accessible (if you restricted access to C:\)

Some older applications will complain about mapped drives. Sometimes it needs to be replaced, or you could (if you have the time) look at any registry entries or ini files it creates. Typically these direct the application where to save files for example.

5. Thanks to Michael from:

edutech4schools (11th June 2012)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread