+ Post New Thread
Windows Server 2008 R2 Thread, Windows NT 4 Domain Clients registering with DNS in Technical; Hello Everyone; I've got a bit of a unique situation here maybe someone can shed some light on it for ...
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Windows NT 4 Domain Clients registering with DNS

Hello Everyone;

I've got a bit of a unique situation here maybe someone can shed some light on it for me.

I have a windows NT4 domain (yes yes it needs to be burnt but is tided into some business stuff that really should also be burnt...) called BD. I have some windows XP clients of this domain.
    I also have a Windows 2008 R2 DC with DHCP\DNS running; so here is the strange issue

Windows XP client set to use DHCP gets an address and attempts to register it's self in DNS it does its PTR record just fine but does not create a forward lookup record. When i look at the PTR record it reports the data as machinename. with no domain attached.

Does anyone know how i can make these clients report a domin when they register in DNS?

Thanks any pointers

adam

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by fawkers View Post
    Hello Everyone;

I've got a bit of a unique situation here maybe someone can shed some light on it for me.

I have a windows NT4 domain (yes yes it needs to be burnt but is tided into some business stuff that really should also be burnt...) called BD. I have some windows XP clients of this domain.
    I also have a Windows 2008 R2 DC with DHCP\DNS running; so here is the strange issue

Windows XP client set to use DHCP gets an address and attempts to register it's self in DNS it does its PTR record just fine but does not create a forward lookup record. When i look at the PTR record it reports the data as machinename. with no domain attached.

Does anyone know how i can make these clients report a domin when they register in DNS?

Thanks any pointers

adam
    Check the options in your DHCP Scope, I think there is something there to prefix the client DNS registrations with your domain name.

With this the client gets registered as machine1.domain.ac.uk rather than just machine1.

Also, in DNS properties you may want to enable unsecure updates to the Zone (although technically this shouldn't be necessary for authorised members of the domain).

Thanks,

Bruce.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Hello

I have already set Option 015 for the domain name and DNS is set to use unsecure updates.

Adam

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by fawkers View Post
    Hello

I have already set Option 015 for the domain name and DNS is set to use unsecure updates.

Adam
    OK, is this something to do with WINS? Obviously NT4's name resolution used WINS (replaced with DNS as the preferred resolution method since W2K). Although Win2K8 supports WINS for for backwards compatibility, it's not something you necessarily need or want. Is WINS enabled on the DC (a role I guess) and is there a DHCP option to hand out IP addresses for the WINS servers to the clients? If so, I'd remove both...

Not that I have seen WINS causing an issue like this but you never know.

[WINS=Windows Internet Naming Service]

Thanks,

Bruce.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,680 Times in 1,460 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I remember reading some place there is some extra security on Server 2008 R2 DNS. Without turning the setting off legacy machines such as NT4 will not be able to create DNS records. I cant remember the name of the policy though.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Hello Everyone;

No WINS on the network at all im afraid, NT4 machines do need extra permissions set but these are XP machines on the NT4 Domain

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,678 Times in 2,272 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'm not sure I understand the setup.

Your client stations are on XP tied to the NT domain, where does the 2008 R2 server fit in? I was sure that NT and 2008 could not co-exist as PDC/DCs so are they two seporate domains. If so why are they using the DNS resources from the 2008 server?

I could be being a bit thick but I only really started messing with servers heavily at the 2000 level which I thought was the first one with AD and as such the first one to support co-existance with 2003,8,8R2.

Thank Post
    Does this help (particularly the 'Use the DnsUpdateProxy security group' part)...

How to configure DNS dynamic updates in Windows Server 2003

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,568 Times in 1,250 Posts
    I totally agree with Synack. I can only imagine the NT4 Server is a member server and not a DC. They can't co-exist on the same domain as DCs.

Windows 2000 Server was the first to introduce Active Directory, real domains, sub domains, forests and schemas, along with everything else!

It sounds like your 2008 R2 box is just running DNS and DHCP and isn't a DC (no Active Directory). If the 2008 R2 server was running Active Directory, by default DNS would be integrated and it does a lot of the leg work automatically.

2008 R2 does still support WINS (you have to enable it on the NIC, rather than a role), but of course 2008 R2 favours DNS and the FQDN.

I have to say it's one manic network setup you've got your hands on there!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread