+ Post New Thread
Windows Server 2008 R2 Thread, Save GPO Configuration and load on another server ??? in Technical; Hello all, I have decided to move from CC4.3 to Vanilla and was wondering if some pepole could help, I ...

Thank Post

Question Save GPO Configuration and load on another server ???

Hello all,

I have decided to move from CC4.3 to Vanilla and was wondering if some pepole could help, I have been playing around on a test VM of Win2k8R2 and set up a clean domain some OU's etc and added all the Group Policy Prefences that I wnat and have tested them and they are working secure etc and was wondering is there a way I can export them from the Virtual Machine adn import them into the new Physical one I setup as I do not want to have to go through it all again.

Thanks.
    Charlie

Thank Post
    In Group Policy Management you can backup the GPOs (right click on Group Poliicy Objects, I think). BUT, I don't think you would be able to to restore the backup into another Domain. But maybe you can... The main issue might be the unique-ness (or not) of the various GUIDs/SIDs used in the GPOs. Would be interested to know if it is possible.

3. Thanks to Bruce123 from:

CharlieGreen (1st June 2012)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,602 Times in 1,278 Posts
    As already mentioned, open Group Policy Management. On the left, expand Group Policy Objects and all your GPOs should be listed. In turn, right click and select Backup.

To restore a GPO firstly create a blank GPO, then repeat the process but select Restore from Backup.

And just to confirm, you can Backup/Restore GPOs from different domains. Something I've done many times.

5. 2 Thanks to Michael:

CharlieGreen (1st June 2012), SYSMAN_MK (30th May 2012)

Thank Post
    Sort of following on form that is there any way I can do this programatically (sp?) e.g. I run a Powershell or VBScript and it will automatically add those GPO's and make them Active and Link them to the correct groups etc.

Thanks

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,602 Times in 1,278 Posts
    It may be possible, but it's going to take considerably longer for sure. It takes minutes to import GPO settings and link them accordingly via the GUI method.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    It may be possible, but it's going to take considerably longer for sure. It takes minutes to import GPO settings and link them accordingly via the GUI method.
    Ok, Thanks, However this would be my chossen way of doing it because what I am trying to do is make a bundle if you like that gets installed on a clean Win2008R2 server and automatically does everything for you, Installs all the Roles, Role Services, Features, adds the AD, sets up the AD, imports users from CSV, sets the Home Folders and Profiles adds them to the right group, adds all the shares required, set up all the GPO's.. In basic it takes a clean Working 2008R2 Server and makes it ready to use straight away with little effort needed in setting it all up. All the user does is answer a few questions at the start of the install and it does the rest automatically and they can then change it as and when needed.

If you do know how to do this or anyone else does please can you help me. Ideally I would like it to run in PS or as a VBS and so would appreciate the help.

Thanks.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread