+ Post New Thread
Windows Server 2008 R2 Thread, Roaming Profile Setup / WIN7 in Technical; Hi All Sorry another thread about this situation: We are typical Vanilla network 2008 R2 Server System with almost all ...
    Thank Post

Roaming Profile Setup / WIN7

Hi All

Sorry another thread about this situation: We are typical Vanilla network 2008 R2 Server System with almost all machines being Windows 7.

Our current roaming profile system works but there are snags, one being the first time some one logs on it does not load a profile (they get no settings, no start menu etc etc - it looks like a clean slate) then they logoff and logon and then they get the roaming profile.

This happens 1st time for anyone without a profile on the server.

Another issue is every now and then a certain group of PCs will decide to take 10 minutes to logon, strange thing with this is when 1 PC in a room starts the whole model range of those PCs do the same thing - and at random times. If we built the room from CD we will not have an issue at all, yet if we rebuild them using FOG they work for a while but there seems to be a chance that it occurs again some months later. I think its some kind of network driver issue? what do people think?

It does not occur every where, like we have a model of 60 machines in two rooms which have started to randomly logon slowly yet our ICT suites up here with 30 machines each are unaffected. The worst thing is these machines some times then begin to slow down upon logoff and shutdown? to me this is a Driver/Fog issue?

I have looked through GPO/User accounts to make sure all is setup correctly and all seems good the only thing I can think of is:
    Some sites say \\server\share$\Username\ located in the GPO setting and the user account. Yet other sites say \\server\share$\username (without that final slash). That setting must match in the GPO settings and the user account am I correct in that?

For the first problem I am thinking that it requires a pre-built profile yet the googling I see says Win7 does not require one. And that the GPO setting requires \\server\share$\PreBuiltProfile\ and the user account has \%username%\.

Our system works except these two little snags and the first problem is sorted out after they logoff and on again but the second problem is fixed by machines being re-imaged. We not long re-imaged most of our machines and the problem did not exist for some weeks after that.

Any Ideas? shots in the dark?

I have checked DNS, DHCP, GPO settings, Account Settings, Errors and all is looking good. Does the GPO setting for Roaming Profile match with \%username%\ ? or \%username (or different) ?

Any thing will be much appreciated

Thank Post
    i believe the 1st one is probably because you have the password reset ticked if you try a new user that dosent have to reset their password i suspect it would be ok

Thank Post
    Sadly nope

Occurs for new users and users who have to start from a fresh roaming profile.

Thank Post
    I've come across this before (unfortunately I'm not at the school where I fixed it today but I'm sure it is linked to slow link detetection in Group Policy)

Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\System\Group Policy\Group Policy slow link detection

Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\System\User Profiles\Slow network connection timeout for user profiles
    Specifying Group Policy for Slow Link Detection: Group Policy

Mike

Thank Post
    Already sorted that, it was one of the google solutions... have gone through endess amount of google solutions - yet if I reimage the PC its fine. Some times for a few months or just a few weeks - if I use a CD though the problem will not occur.

Some model machines are fine imaging though.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,578 Times in 1,415 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mthomas08 View Post
    Hi All

Sorry another thread about this situation: We are typical Vanilla network 2008 R2 Server System with almost all machines being Windows 7.

Our current roaming profile system works but there are snags, one being the first time some one logs on it does not load a profile (they get no settings, no start menu etc etc - it looks like a clean slate) then they logoff and logon and then they get the roaming profile.

This happens 1st time for anyone without a profile on the server.
    Isn't that because when they log off the user profile that was created on the machine from the default profile is then copied to their roaming profile location?

Ben

Thank Post
    Very true but hoping that there is a better way or is it supposed to do this?

If thats the case we can ignore that then.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,675 Times in 1,458 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sted View Post
    i believe the 1st one is probably because you have the password reset ticked if you try a new user that dosent have to reset their password i suspect it would be ok
    Sorry to hijack but this one only applies to XP SP3

Thank Post
    Sorry to bump this one up but still having this issue.

We went round the school, re-imaged a lot of the machines with FOG and again after a few months bam - they start off again.

No server side issues/problems and things work well after a PC has been rebuilt for a few months but then they sit at the welcome logon screen. We know that if we use a fresh Windows 7 CD to build the machines they will work fine but imaging with FOG causes these problems.

We used to use WDS and again the problems didnt exist. Seems to be something to do with W2008R2/Windows 7 Roaming profile and FOG.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Do it again out of hours and look at the server where the profile lives.

Have a look at the network traffic going out of that server during the slow logon, if it shows 100% network then you might have got closer to working out what is happening.

Simon

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,442 Times in 1,890 Posts
    Blog Entries
    My thought is not that its FOG, but your image. How are you installing the drivers? How are you building the image for the machines?

Thank Post
    I have a thought, these machines in question, and also this seem very far from the issue, my question is do they have an Nvidia graphic card?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread