+ Post New Thread
Windows Server 2008 R2 Thread, Folder Redirection - creation of folders before first login? in Technical; Hi all, We have a test vanilla network up and running with Win 2008 R2 Server/Win7 client. Folder redirection is ...

Thank Post

Folder Redirection - creation of folders before first login?

Hi all,

We have a test vanilla network up and running with Win 2008 R2 Server/Win7 client.

Folder redirection is working great, all the users we've tested can login and their redirected folders get created at first login in the correct share on the server.

What I am wondering is if we can create these folders before the first login occurs? We are looking to migrate from an existing network and have all the existing user work to move. I don't fancy logging in as each user in order to create these folders with the correct permissions, though given the whole creator/owner settings, I suspect there may not be an 'easy' way of doing this?

Advice welcome

Thanks,

Chris

Jus North of London, close but not too close
    Thank Post
    You shouldn't need to. Move the users home directories accross to the new shared folder then select all the users in the OU right click then within the properties profile tab change the home folder to \\[SERVERNAME]\[SHARENAME]\%UserName% (providing you are planning to Share the root folder of the home area rather than the actual users folder that is).

I have done this when moving home accounts between servers on the same network many times.

Test on a small amount of test accounts before of course so you know you get the intended results.

Thank Post
    I didn't want to use the Home Folder setting, I was hoping to use the folder redirection option instead, can they be used together? I assume I'd still need to set permissions individually on each home folder on the new system though?? Our new network would be new, the old one would be literally turned off then the new one brought into use, so permissions can't be copied between servers.

Thank Post
    I've used the home method but I've still got about 4 redirections via GPO for Documents, App Data, Favourites, Pictures etc.

Thank Post
    I found that if you create the folders manually folder redirection fails for some reason, may have been permissions related but in the end I used a custom application to move their files from another location at logon. I suppose you could use a script.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisMiles View Post
    I found that if you create the folders manually folder redirection fails for some reason, may have been permissions related but in the end I used a custom application to move their files from another location at logon. I suppose you could use a script.
    Your'e not really creating the home folders manually In this instance, the home folders are being copied from another location. I maybe wrong but if you move the home folders then do the home folders through AD first, once you've moved the users home directories accross to the new share then it gives that user full permissions on their folder.

As I said just test on a batch of test accounts before and after just so you know what results you may have.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Davit2005 View Post
    Your'e not really creating the home folders manually In this instance, the home folders are being copied from another location. I maybe wrong but if you move the home folders then do the home folders through AD first, once you've moved the users home directories accross to the new share then it gives that user full permissions on their folder.

As I said just test on a batch of test accounts before and after just so you know what results you may have.
    My reply wasn't aimed at your solution, just a comment on my experience with trying to create the redirected folders manually rather than letting windows do it at logon.

Home folders aren't the same thing as using folder redirection and don't work the same way.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisMiles View Post
    My reply wasn't aimed at your solution, just a comment on my experience with trying to create the redirected folders manually rather than letting windows do it at logon.

Home folders aren't the same thing as using folder redirection and don't work the same way.
    No worries :-D.

I have templates for new users within AD and (I'm pretty sure) when I copy this template with home drive set as (\\[server]\[sharename]\%UserName%)it creates the folder for the user before they log on, so when the folder redirection happens though login script/folder redirection the users folder is already in place and has the correct permission and folder redirection works ok.

This should sort out the permission issue.

Thank Post
    So if I would like to use Folder Redirection but also have loads of user work to migrate onto a new network, is this possible? Do I create the Home Folder and map this to e.g. N:\ and then create a 'Documents' folder in this that I can copy work into? I need to check the redirection options again as this might work.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread