+ Post New Thread
Windows Server 2008 R2 Thread, Bulk Change Of Share Permissions in Technical; Hi this may of been asked before but i have read many post and still am unable to do this. ...

Thank Post

Bulk Change Of Share Permissions

Hi this may of been asked before but i have read many post and still am unable to do this.

We have moved all are users personal folders. I managed to use a tool by wisesoft to set the security permissions on all the folders so they are ok. I also found a script that shared all the folders with the username as the share name. the only remaining problem i have is i need to set the share permissions on all folders to Domain users with full control and the moment is just everyone with read. is there away i can automate this as we have a lot of folders and it would take a long time to do this.

any help would be much appreciated

file server: windows 2008R2

Thank Post
    Google "Cacls" it's a command line utility build into windows (I think it comes built in anyhoo...) we recently migrated from a full Novell/Netware system to a full windows 2008 system and use Cacls and some (admittedly rather good) batch file writing to take the blank folders for home directories and shares and apply user and group permissions to them. Print yourself a log using ">>" in the batch file and you can can skim through it afterwards to check for any nasty folders that didnt take the permissions correctly. It should do what you want

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,715 Times in 1,526 Posts

4. Thanks to plexer from:

Gaz (27th April 2012)

Gaz

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by plexer View Post
    That looks like a very handy program to have! Have you used it?

In my opinion in this day and age I don't think we should still be doing everything via scripts.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaz View Post

In my opinion in this day and age I don't think we should still be doing everything via scripts.
    I disagree, being a linux user I love scripts and command lines, they are much more flexible than GUIs, more verbose and easier to get an exact action, rather than a more general one which you usually get from a GUI, though if you mess up with a script then you *really* mess up

Not to mention microsoft hasnt bothered making GUIs for half the stuff they do, sharepoint server still makes massive use of a terminal as does their licensing stuff.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,715 Times in 1,526 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaz View Post

I have used it allthough not entriely in anger at the moment.

After the trial expires I think it's about £10 to buy.

Ben

Thank Post
    Here's a helpful link:
    iCacls - Modify Access Control List

Our solution isn't the prettiest, but I had to stop inheritance on each folder or I ran into problems. You can see what all the switches mean above... I didn't really expect it to use our AD groups, but it did and I was pleasantly surprised.

We granted permissions this way:

Code:
    :: Setting NTFS permissions.

icacls "D:\Applications"                                   /inheritance:r /grant Administrators:(OI)(CI)(F) "Domain Admins":(OI)(CI)(F) 9200ServerMaintenance:(OI)(CI)(F) 1111Admins:(RX) 1111Teachers:(RX) 1111Students:(RX) 
    icacls "D:\Applications\Admin Applications"                /inheritance:r /grant Administrators:(OI)(CI)(F) "Domain Admins":(OI)(CI)(F) 9200ServerMaintenance:(OI)(CI)(F) 1111Admins:(RX)
    icacls "D:\Applications\Admin Applications\Admin_Apps"     /inheritance:r /grant Administrators:(OI)(CI)(F) "Domain Admins":(OI)(CI)(F) 9200ServerMaintenance:(OI)(CI)(F) 1111Admins:(OI)(CI)(M)
    icacls "D:\Applications\Admin Applications\CCSMSS"         /inheritance:r /grant Administrators:(OI)(CI)(F) "Domain Admins":(OI)(CI)(F) 9200ServerMaintenance:(OI)(CI)(F) 1111Admins:(OI)(CI)(M)
    icacls "D:\Applications\Admin Applications\Sims Routines"  /inheritance:r /grant Administrators:(OI)(CI)(F) "Domain Admins":(OI)(CI)(F) 9200ServerMaintenance:(OI)(CI)(F) 1111Admins:(OI)(CI)(M) 
    icacls "D:\Applications\Admin Applications\XONEPRGS"       /inheritance:r /grant Administrators:(OI)(CI)(F) "Domain Admins":(OI)(CI)(F) 9200ServerMaintenance:(OI)(CI)(F) 1111Admins:(OI)(CI)(M)
    icacls "D:\Applications\Student Applications"              /inheritance:r /grant Administrators:(OI)(CI)(F) "Domain Admins":(OI)(CI)(F) 9200ServerMaintenance:(OI)(CI)(F) 1111Admins:(OI)(CI)(RX) 1111Teachers:(OI)(CI)(RX) 1111Students:(OI)(CI)(RX)
    icacls "D:\Applications\Teacher Applications"              /inheritance:r /grant Administrators:(OI)(CI)(F) "Domain Admins":(OI)(CI)(F) 9200ServerMaintenance:(OI)(CI)(F) 1111Teachers:(OI)(CI)(RX) 1111Admins:(OI)(CI)(RX) 
    icacls "D:\Home Directories"                               /inheritance:r /grant Administrators:(OI)(CI)(F) "Domain Admins":(OI)(CI)(F) 9200ServerMaintenance:(OI)(CI)(F) 1111Admins:(RX) 1111Teachers:(RX) 
    icacls "D:\Home Directories\Admins"                        /inheritance:r /grant Administrators:(OI)(CI)(F) "Domain Admins":(OI)(CI)(F) 9200ServerMaintenance:(OI)(CI)(F) 1111Admins:(RX)
    icacls "D:\Home Directories\Teachers"                      /inheritance:r /grant Administrators:(OI)(CI)(F) "Domain Admins":(OI)(CI)(F) 9200ServerMaintenance:(OI)(CI)(F) 1111Teachers:(RX) 
    icacls "D:\Home Directories\Students"                      /inheritance:r /grant Administrators:(OI)(CI)(F) "Domain Admins":(OI)(CI)(F) 9200ServerMaintenance:(OI)(CI)(F) 1111Students:(RX) 1111Admins:(OI)(CI)(M) 1111Teachers:(OI)(CI)(M)
    icacls "D:\User Shares"                                    /inheritance:r /grant Administrators:(OI)(CI)(F) "Domain Admins":(OI)(CI)(F) 9200ServerMaintenance:(OI)(CI)(F) 1111Admins:(RX) 1111Teachers:(RX) 1111Students:(RX)
    icacls "D:\User Shares\Admin Share"                        /inheritance:r /grant Administrators:(OI)(CI)(F) "Domain Admins":(OI)(CI)(F) 9200ServerMaintenance:(OI)(CI)(F) 1111Admins:(M)
    icacls "D:\User Shares\Common Share"                       /inheritance:r /grant Administrators:(OI)(CI)(F) "Domain Admins":(OI)(CI)(F) 9200ServerMaintenance:(OI)(CI)(F) 1111Students:(OI)(CI)(RX) 1111Admins:(OI)(CI)(M) 1111Teachers:(OI)(CI)(M)
    icacls "D:\User Shares\Teacher Share"                      /inheritance:r /grant Administrators:(OI)(CI)(F) "Domain Admins":(OI)(CI)(F) 9200ServerMaintenance:(OI)(CI)(F) 1111Admins:(OI)(CI)(M) 1111Teachers:(OI)(CI)(M)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread