+ Post New Thread
Windows Server 2008 R2 Thread, Hyper v question in Technical; Hiya, Not sure how this hyper-v works. Does this make my machine act like I have installed something like vmware ...
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Hyper v question

Hiya,

Not sure how this hyper-v works.

Does this make my machine act like I have installed something like vmware server on it? i.e. I could then have virtual machines running on it, but without needing software like vmware server or virtual box, and not having to virtulise the entire server like I would with esxi?

Thanks

Thank Post
    depends which hyperv.

the bare metal version is like esxi in that once setup you dont use the console for anything (its basically single role server core)

the hyper v in server 08/r2 is more like virtualbox in the sense that they can be run in a "window" and use the local dvd etc. But it can still be managed remotely.

Thank Post
    Hyper-V can do praticly anything VMWare can do.

You can run it in 'Server Core' mode where you use remote management tools to look after it or if you enable it as a role in a standard install then you can use it with local management tools.

Either way Hyper-V is a bare metal hypervisor just depends on how you are happy looking after it.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Is it better to have it as a role in a standard server setup then you have the other tools a server has?

Thank Post
    Dont' quite know what you mean but I think you are asking is can you run the Hyper-V role with other server roles on the same OS - the short answer is yes however the serious answer is no Hyper-V should not be used with any Windows Server roles.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesfed View Post
    Dont' quite know what you mean but I think you are asking is can you run the Hyper-V role with other server roles on the same OS - the short answer is yes however the serious answer is no Hyper-V should not be used with any Windows Server roles.
    in an ideal world but i run hyperv servers/test workstations on server that do other things (infact most schools i support are single physical server) so the dc often has a hyper v for crappy printers that dont like 08/win7 or test pcs etc nopt had any major issues though i do know other people who run a hyperv dc on a dc which dosent half increase boot time (and i wouldnt do)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I wouldnt run it on our DC, but i would be using that as an RDP server, and i would possibly have a virtulised BDC running on hyper-v if it runs like virtual box /vmware server.

Stuff like that

Thank Post
    As I understand it - when you install the hyper-v role it modifies the kernel to load hyper-v under windows.

Thank Post
    If you install a DC on Hyper V...one gotcha to look out for is Time Sync. Make sure you unselect the option telling the guest to get it's time from the host. This can cause all manner of issues.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread