+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Windows Server 2008 R2 Thread, Group Policy - Settings report shows Not Configured Items in Technical; I've searched for the answer for this for ages and it's driving me made. This happens with all GPO's but ...

Thank Post

Group Policy - Settings report shows Not Configured Items

I've searched for the answer for this for ages and it's driving me made.
    This happens with all GPO's but for example I'll use a clean GPO.

If I create a new GPO in the GPMC on Server 2008 R2 and then configure something in the ADMX side it works as expected. The Settings report shows the correct setting.
    If then undo that setting and revert it back to Not Configured I expect the Settings report to so that the GPO is empty. However, this isn't the case. It still shows me the Setting and also that it's set as Not Configured.

It's not actually applying anything, the Not Configured is working. It's more a visual quirk, but a irritating one!

I know there was a KB update to fix the Backspace issue. Has there been anything relating to this? Has anyone else had this problem.

Thank Post
    that is what is supose to happen.

if I understood you correctly the settings tab shows you the configured settings regardless of if the gpo is eneable or not. it allows to to get an overview of what should be applying so you dont have to trail through the editor.
    Last edited by RageRiot; 22nd March 2012 at 09:13 AM.

Thank Post
    I am right in thinking that if I enable a gpo setting, then later changing that setting it as not configured that the client will leave that GPO setting as on? Then having the gpo show not configured would be helpful.

Thank Post
    having an individual setting in a gpo set to not configured is the same as not having the GPO or having the GPO disabled.

it means it will ignore the GPO and set that setting based upon the local Group policy on the target client.

Thank Post
    Is this new behaviour in 2008/R2? In 2003 R2 once I set something back to Not Configured it no longer appears in the Settings report (because there isn't anything set anymore).
    The Settings report used to only show you Enabled or Disabled items.

It's a little messy because we do all our development in test OU's, not on live clients. So if we enable something to "try it out" then decide we don't want to use it, that GPO will be left with the traces of that test.
    We'd have to recreate the GPO again when we want to put that GPO into production.
    Last edited by Arcolite; 23rd March 2012 at 11:37 AM.

Thank Post
    hmm. I'm a little suprised that people use the settings tabs as an indication if it's on or off. I see it completly different, from my perspective it should show settings regardless of if the link is enabled or disable or the computer or user settings are enabled or disabled. this as far as i know is the expected behavior since you can visually see if a GPO link is enabled and/or if a scope is or isnt on the details tab.

Thank Post
    I don't mean GPO Link status, I mean the actual settings status contained within the GPO.

For example. If I go into a GPO and set "Verbose vs normal status messages" to Enabled. The Settings report shows Enabled.
    Later down the road I decide I no longer want that. I set it back to Not Configured in the GPO. Previously this would remove the entry for this Setting from the Settings report, however now it shows it as Not Configured.

That means I have a entry in a report telling me that something isn't configured...which isn't very helpful.

GPO-Report-Settings.JPG
    Last edited by Arcolite; 23rd March 2012 at 12:00 PM.

Thank Post
    it is helpful. the client will assume default settings or follow its local GP settings .

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by RageRiot View Post
    it is helpful. the client will assume default settings or follow its local GP settings .
    In which case, I don't need to know that something is not configured.
    Otherwise they might as well show me the entire contents of the GPO regardless of their configuration status.
    Last edited by Arcolite; 23rd March 2012 at 04:18 PM.

Thank Post
    after a secoond look at the picture i realise what you mean but it still makes sense. Maybe GPs have atributes that are aet when any setting is altered. So changing it from enable or disable and then to not configured will force it to still ahow in the settings tab

Thank Post
    Maybe GPs have atributes that are aet when any setting is altered.
    The overwhelming majority do NOT, they either exist in a registry.pol file with a value e.g. [enabled|disabled, 27, "Hello World!"] or they don't. The screenshot shows folder redirection which is handled by a GP extension - settings for folder redirection live in a fdeploy.ini file within the GPOs sysvol folder. If it's top of anyone's priority list than then a) Can I have your job? b) Go find that file and edit the setting out with notepad (if you have multiple DCs then I would go toggle a normal setting in that GPO so the version number changes).

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PiqueABoo View Post
    The overwhelming majority do NOT, they either exist in a registry.pol file with a value e.g. [enabled|disabled, 27, "Hello World!"] or they don't. The screenshot shows folder redirection which is handled by a GP extension - settings for folder redirection live in a fdeploy.ini file within the GPOs sysvol folder. If it's top of anyone's priority list than then a) Can I have your job? b) Go find that file and edit the setting out with notepad (if you have multiple DCs then I would go toggle a normal setting in that GPO so the version number changes).
    well obviously in the OPs case somthing is stored.
    I asume your askin for his job? otherwise no :P

Thank Post
    well obviously in the OPs case somthing is stored.
    Yes, you just quoted my not-Googled explanation of where those specific settings are stored and how the OP might fix their (non-systematic) problem.

I asume your askin for his job?
    Not really, just a job where once in a while I might have time to care about this kind of issue.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PiqueABoo View Post
    If it's as simple as that, awesome.

I wouldn't say this is top priority, but we're in the process of creating our brand new Windows 7 GPO's and OU Structure. but I'm very protective and slightly OCD about my GPO's. I want them perfect and stuff like this bugs me.
    If someone else in the department looks at the Settings report I want to be able to give them a informed answer on why that still shows up rather than a "meh! dunno".

Surely this is a bug in GPMC?
    Last edited by Arcolite; 23rd March 2012 at 08:45 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Arcolite View Post
    If it's as simple as that, awesome.
    It should be, but I'm not saying it's perfectly safe so do take a copy of the original before you fiddle, in fact just back up your GPOs via GPMC like conscientious admins are supposed to every so often. Then rather than using notepad and wondering which bit to edit it's probably easier to make a new throwaway GPO, configure the folder redirection there without touching any folder you don't want redirected, and try copying the fdeploy.ini from the new GPO over the fdeploy.ini in the original GPO. If it all works OK throwaway the new GPO.

Surely this is a bug in GPMC?
    Doubtful - it could easily be an unavoidable side-effect of folder redirection e.g. in some scenarios it *might* need to know the difference between "was never configured" and "was configured but isn't now".

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast