+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Windows Server 2008 R2 Thread, Group Policy - Settings report shows Not Configured Items in Technical; Just to provide an update to this. I've been testing and can confirm that this only happens with Folder Redirection ...

Thank Post
    Just to provide an update to this. I've been testing and can confirm that this only happens with Folder Redirection settings. When all other settings are put back to Not Configured they are removed from the Settings report as expected.

Thank Post
    This thread is a bit stale but in case you wanted to know...

I make no claims that this won't break something else when you edit it, but I think what you are looking for is the gPCUserExtensionNames attribute of the policy under CN={GUID of the policy},CN=Policies,CN=SYSTEM,DC=DOMAIN,DC=COM. You can edit this with ADSIEDIT.msc, etc.

It looks as if GroupPolicyEntenstions like Folder Redirection, which don't store their settings directly in registry.pol, appear to add to a list GUIDs in this attribute which is how the GPMC knows to look for the settings elsewhere. Modifying that attribute to remove the GUID for the specific part of Folder Redirection you were using, or completely removing the attribute will clear the phantom settings in GPMC. Removing the entire thing would of course remove any other gPEs too, so be careful.

It's trivial but I too found this annoying when looking at a policies and attempting to see what settings are actually set, as opposed to previously set. Nearly as annoying the as bug which MS is not patching in 2008R2 where a comment once set, cannot be blanked in the GUI (you can reduce the comment to a singe space of course). They can be removed by editing the comment.cmtx however. That has the same effect of possibly showing un-configured settings.

3. 2 Thanks to andrewjms:

Arthur (25th July 2013), PiqueABoo (10th July 2012)

Thank Post
    That rang very true so I just looked at one. I'm calling it a list of sets of GUIDs, each set is enclosed in square brackets and apparently dedicated to a specific area e.g. I found folder redirection:

[{25537BA6-77A8-11D2-9B6C-0000F8080861}{88E729D6-BDC1-11D1-BD2A-00C04FB9603F}]

Having searched, that's apparently the folder redirection "CSE GUID" and "Tool Extension GUID (User Policy Settings)" respectively. MS-GPFR.pdf

CSE GUID: A GUID that enables a specific client-side extension on the Group Policy Client to be associated with policy data that is stored in the logical and physical components of a Group Policy Object (GPO) on the Group Policy Server, for that particular extension.

Tool Extension GUID: A GUID defined separately for each of the user policy settings and computer policy settings that associates a specific administrative tool plug-in with a set of policy settings that can be stored in a Group Policy Object (GPO).

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by RageRiot View Post
    having an individual setting in a gpo set to not configured is the same as not having the GPO or having the GPO disabled.

it means it will ignore the GPO and set that setting based upon the local Group policy on the target client.
    Hi! Trying to interpret this, if the setting earlier was set to enabled. Next we set it to not configured. Will the local Group Policy not be enabled then, as it was configured to be earlier? I.e. GPO, centrally is configuring a local GPO to be enabled. Later we set that GPO to not configured. Would the client not remember the last setting, hence leaving it enabled, but (!) configurable?

Now to my next question: if we build machines and want to have a setting enabled, in this case cached mode in Outlook always on. But, we want this to be configurable by the user. Though, enabled should be default, unless they change it. How is this accomplished via GPO? We want only users who are local admins to be able to change this setting, please.

Thank Post
    I have just found this actually causes issues when Enforcing a GPO. We recently enforced our Default Domain Policy so it applies to OUs with Blocked Inheritance. In enforcing this it caused our Start Menu to no longer redirect. I found that in the Default Domain Policy, Start Menu Redirection was set to Not Configured. This caused it to apply as not configured and ignore a policy applied further down.

Thank Post
    To remove the left over Not Configured Folder Redirection policy you need to do as follows:

• Remove the Documents and Settings folder under \\domain\sysvol\Policies\{GPO GUID}\User (This will remove the fdeploy.ini files as well)
    • Open AD Users and Computers. Turn on Advanced Features (View->Advanced Features). Navigate to System->Policies->{GPO GUID}. Right click on {GPO GUID}, choose Properties. In the dialog that pops up, switch to Attribute Editor. Scroll down to gPCUserExtensionNames, and double click it.
    • This will pop up a dialog with a long text entry box, and a bunch of GUIDs. This attribute defines the list of GP Extensions associated with this GPO in the User context. Immediately above it you'll see the related attribute gPCMachineExtensionNames which defines the associated GP extensions in the Machine context of the GPO.
    • Delete the following entry from gPCUserExtensionNames : [{25537BA6-77A8-11D2-9B6C-0000F8080861}{88E729D6-BDC1-11D1-BD2A-00C04FB9603F}] (including the square brackets)
    • Click OK, and you're done.

* These instructions are taken from: windows server 2008 - How can I erase the traces of Folder Redirection from the Default Domain Policy - Server Fault

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12