+ Post New Thread
Windows Server 2008 R2 Thread, Help me setup remote desktop services in Technical; Just testing out RD services on 2008r2 network. The school is a small primary with about 10 users that might ...

Thank Post

Help me setup remote desktop services

Just testing out RD services on 2008r2 network.

The school is a small primary with about 10 users that might want to access the odd file and the office staff that might want to access sims.

So I was thinking RD web apps with MS Office installed would cover the teachers needing access to the odd file and a remote desktop for sims. Am I correct with this approach.

So far I have installed:
    Remote Desktop Session Host
    Remote Desktop Web Access

Can someone advise what other services I will need to install to achieve my goal. I notice it has a service named connection broker, do I need this?

Any advice / hand holding please.

Thank Post
    You are on the right lines. The two services that you have selected will allow you to deploy a RemoteApp.

Are you looking for this to deploy applications internally, or externally?

If externally then you may need to install the RDS Gateway - and probably want to look at something more like UAG to provide good security.

SIMS can be deployed as a RemoteApp too - meaning that they don't have to connect to a full RDS session just to access that one application. The alternative is to just have a full remote desktop session and have all the applications/drives/etc in there - one place to access everything.

We have recently rolled out RemoteApps internally for those 'once in a blue moon' applications - the things that teachers use once a term for one lesson. This works well for most stuff. Remotely, staff have got laptops and use a VPN connection to access the data through Microsoft UAG.
    Last edited by trolley01; 19th March 2012 at 09:39 AM. Reason: Helps when you finish writing it first....

Thank Post
    Are you looking for this to deploy applications internally, or externally?
    externally

If externally then you may need to install the RDS Gateway - and probably want to look at something more like UAG to provide good security.
    With this being a small primary they need this done on the cheap. I assume UAG is an additional cost.

SIMS can be deployed as a RemoteApp too - meaning that they don't have to connect to a full RDSsession just to access that one application. The alternative is to just have a full remote desktop session and have all the applications/drives/etc in there - one place to access everything.
    I like the sound of running sims as an app and will look into that. If I decide to go down the full remote desktop route do I need to install remote desktop virtualization hjost service?

Thank Post
    Just as a note, we have a lot of issues with sims as a remoteapp, with crashing and freezing and we dont seem to be alone. This will need a lot of testing to see if it is a solution that works for you.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,675 Times in 1,458 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by british_government View Post
    Just as a note, we have a lot of issues with sims as a remoteapp, with crashing and freezing and we dont seem to be alone. This will need a lot of testing to see if it is a solution that works for you.
    Its ok with us

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by edutech4schools View Post
    With this being a small primary they need this done on the cheap. I assume UAG is an additional cost.
    UAG would be an additional cost - no price can be be put on security though. Are you planning on just publishing the url to the internet?

No - you will not need to install the Virtualization service - unless you plan on presenting a virtual machine to them to use. I would stick with an RDP session - will be easier.

We have not had any issues with SIMS as a remote app here either - it is used daily here by external users through UAG - one of the best things we ever did!

Thank Post
    UAG would be an additional cost - no price can be be put on security though. Are you planning on just publishing the url to the internet?
    Not sure, what are my options? Currently have non MS https vpn that I am looking to replace with RDS.

I don't think the school will be able to fund any other purchases so UAG os not an option. Is this a show stopper from a security point of view? Would a different config be more secure, say just RDP connection without the web apps.

Thank Post
    I am not sure.

I have only used RDS/RDP when it has been presented through either UAG or Barracuda SSL VPN.

I think given what you have said I would look at the following:

1. Use Routing & Remote Access to create a VPN connection into the school.
    2. Create your RemoteApps and publish the RDWeb to an internal only url.
    3. Give staff a copy of the VPN connection file and instructions of how to access the RDWeb url once connected on the VPN.

This way all of the apps and the data is only available once your are connected through the VPN - providing a good layer of security. Has the added advantage that any staff with laptops can connect and then access all resources on their laptops once they are connected.

Just a thought anyway - others will more than likely have their own opinion of how to do this given the parameters.

9. Thanks to trolley01 from:

edutech4schools (19th March 2012)

Thank Post
    Thanks trolley01. I will look into Routing & Remote Access.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 749 Posts
    Last edited by bossman; 19th March 2012 at 11:50 AM.

Thank Post
    @FN-GM and @trolley01 interesting you have no issues with sims as remote app.

How many terminal servers? Spec? and how many concurrent users?
    Perhaps you could have a look at my thread here?
    Sims.net and Terminal services remote app

Thank Post
    Which computer you are trying to access remotely? Is it Windows 2008 R2 server? If so, make sure that you have checked the check box for roles for remote desktop services during installation. Alternatively, you can try using various remote support services such as logmeinrescue, gosupportnow, GoToMyPC etc. in order to remotely access computers.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread