+ Post New Thread
Windows Server 2008 R2 Thread, New AD, transfer from Old AD in Technical; Another "TechMonkey is probably going about this the completely wrong way" thread!! Currently have CC3 network and the aim is ...

Thank Post

New AD, transfer from Old AD

Another "TechMonkey is probably going about this the completely wrong way" thread!! Currently have CC3 network and the aim is to have a vanilla network up and running for the new academic year. We have all new hardware but for my own peace of mind I'd love to keep the old CC3 system away from the new.

So is there a best way to transfer mailboxes, users and slowly move stations over without merging the 2 AD's? Will we have to have a new domain name, as in currently we are SCHOOL.internal, so the new AD will need INITIALS.internal? If at all possible I'd like the new to keep the SCHOOL.internal name but that isn't mandatory. My mind keeps thinking about joining forests but I think that will just get confusing.

No services have to be used between the 2 or shares be accessible except to transfer.

Thank Post
    Hehe, oh yes.

I have the KILLER lurgy today and can barely focus on eating my lunch, but I've done/am doing this now.

ADMT will be your friend if you need to do it the proper way, do enjoy that 300 page Microsoft manual too... If there REALLY is to be NOTHING linking the new domain to the old you can administer your new AD with BULK AD USERS which can also reset the passwords, set the home areas and profile locations and anything to do with AD accounts, and import the accounts themselves to your required OUs with the ARPOSH NEW USER CREATOR THING from a pre-appointed csv which has a very small learning curve, and both need attention to use but are DEAD easy really once you're there.

Have a look, might be some use...
    Last edited by Miscbrah; 15th March 2012 at 01:00 PM.

3. Thanks to Miscbrah from:

TechMonkey (15th March 2012)

Thank Post
    Put a trust between the forests and use ADMT to migrate users over. I am doing similar so I have the same user in each domain so domain1/user1, domain2/user1. The passwords have been transferred over so the only issue I am going to have is people who have changed their passwords before I switch over but this can probably be handled by re importing them at a better time which is made easy if you get your users into groups that reflect the structure you want to use eg staff, teachers, year7 etc.

5. Thanks to ChrisH from:

Thank Post
    But the Domains will have to be differently named, correct? Build new domain, create a trust and ADMT will whisk everything good across that I need?

Sounds far too easy.... Although from Miscbrah's description that may be too simplistic!!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TechMonkey View Post
    Although from Miscbrah's description that may be too simplistic!!
    Heh, no I well and truly chickened out of ADMT. But in our circumstance which is pretty much unique we didn't need to use it or go about things that way.

If you can get someone to explain ADMT to you or you feel you can go that way then do so - don't let me put you off there!

8. Thanks to Miscbrah from:

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,140 Times in 1,036 Posts
    When I was involved in a migration away from Classlink we exported all users from AD in a CSV and imported the users in - resetting all passwords.

We used exmerge to export all users from exchange and then import in again.

10. Thanks to glennda from:

Thank Post
    That is the other option. Keep them totally separate and move stuff over via files, & imports. Life is interesting

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by glennda View Post
    When I was involved in a migration away from Classlink we exported all users from AD in a CSV and imported the users in - resetting all passwords.
    This was the one for me. So long as they don't need their passwords they you're alright...

...Within reason. SID history and the like not coming across shouldn't be a problem as there's no common resources from the old domain that you're not manually shipping over, but using ADMT you import the whole shop whereas with my way you're effectively making new accounts, just got the old usernames.

Have a go, see if BulkAD and Arposh (or indeed CSVDE and LDIFDE) do what you need and if not you've still got bags of time to try ADMT I reckon.

13. Thanks to Miscbrah from:

TechMonkey (16th March 2012)

Thank Post
    I used ADMT last summer when we migrated from our old domain to the new one. I only used it for the staff accounts and then re-created all the student accounts from scratch. Saved having to reset all the staff passwords and wasn't too difficult to use in the end. I'll see if I can dig out the guides I used for it.

15. Thanks to Ashm from:

TechMonkey (16th March 2012)

Thank Post
    So is there a best way to transfer mailboxes
    Mailboxes from what? Exchange (which version)?
    Last edited by PiqueABoo; 15th March 2012 at 09:38 PM.

Thank Post
    @Ashm: That would be brilliant, ta
    @PiqueABoo: Exchange 2003 to 2010. Probably.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread