+ Post New Thread
Windows Server 2008 R2 Thread, a printer question on Server 2008R2 in Technical; Right guys, I have two network printers, one is the main printer for the classes to print to and the ...

Thank Post

a printer question on Server 2008R2

Right guys,

I have two network printers, one is the main printer for the classes to print to and the second printer was purchased early this year. Now my question is can I set the secondary printer so that only specific users (staffs) can see it and at the same time hide the main printer from them...?

I will need the 3 classes to see this new printer and exclude the main one from them. Is this possible?

And also these settings involve modifying the GPO ? we currently use server 2008R2, help and guidance needed please,

thanks

Thank Post
    We do ours that way through group policies set up to specific computers. You could do this with users as well using GPOs and Active Directory security groups.

Basically, we do it like this. We set up the printer on the print server (2008R2). We create a security group in AD named what the printer share name is (no reason other than our own information, name it whatever). We personally put the computers that we want to have access to that printer in that group. You could put users instead.

At that point, we modify the settings we have for that specific location's printers in GPO. I set item level targeting to be that particular AD security group created and we're good to go.

I'm not sure how complex your AD structure is. For us, we have 64 locations, 45,000+ users, and a metric ton of printers. It works very well for us, and what you want to do is very possible.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,567 Times in 1,249 Posts
    There are several ways to tackle this. Just like shares, you can set permissions on printers too in exactly the same fashion.

Optionally you can also remove them from being published. Right click the printer (on the print server), select Printer Properties > Sharing. You can remove it from being published here.

Using Print Management built into 2008 R2, you can then deploy the main printer to pupils for example and the new printer to staff.

If users attempt to search for another printer they'll get no results and secondly, they'll be denied access due to the permissions in place.

Thank Post
    Hmm thanks alot guys very useful info.

Will get working on to it

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread