+ Post New Thread
Windows Server 2008 R2 Thread, DFS - conflicting site associations - IPv6? in Technical; I've spent all day trying to debug this particular nasty and as yet I'm no closer to understanding wtf is ...
    Thank Post

DFS - conflicting site associations - IPv6?

I've spent all day trying to debug this particular nasty and as yet I'm no closer to understanding wtf is going on.

DFS is setup with two sites connected over VPN...

Until recently it's been working brilliantly but all of a sudden my workstation was continually hitting problems with regular disconnects and dropping to work offline when outlook was being opened (lot of stuff in there).

I suspect the problem is down to this particular error:
    Code:
    Validating site associations...

Validating the site associations on every domain controller of the following: DC1
    Warning: The server has IP addresses with conflicting site associations
    Host name: DC1
    Site: Unit
    Domain controller: DC1
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Host IP address                         Subnet-SiteMapping in AD
    ::1                                     No mapping exists
    Warning: The server has IP addresses with conflicting site associations
    Host name: DC1
    Site: Unit
    Domain controller: DC2
    Host IP address                         Subnet-SiteMapping in AD
    ::1                                     No mapping exists
    Success: The site associated with the following host name is consistent on all a
    ccessible domain controllers: DC1

Now that IP address is the equivalent of localhost in IPv6 but this has been disabled both in the network properties for DC1's LAN settings and also via the registry using this:
    -first unbind the ipv6 stack from the main lan interface:
    -on core o/s launch regedit and export the following reg key before making any changes: hkey_local_machine\currentcontrolset\services\tcpi p6
    -go to the "Linkage" subkey and clear out the values from the Bind and Route strings completely, setting them to blank
    -change the Export key's value to have only: \Devices\Tcpip6
    -as noted already, disable ipv6 by:
    -going to the "Parameters" subkey
    -create a dword (matching your o/s type, 32bit/64bit) and name it DisabledComponents
    -set the hex value to FF
    ... something I've tried in various ways but to null effect...

I suspect the problem is that the localhost isn't affected by this setting and for whatever reason something somewhere is assigning DC1 with the ::1 IP..

Further info' comes from when I do lookup from the Nameservers tab it will resolve DC1 to the IPv4 address and the ::1 address that's giving me the headache...

If I do a DOS nslookup for DC1 it will only return the IPv4 value...

I'm really at my wits end so [b]any[b] help would be really appreciated...

Thank Post
    Updating this as I've had some success, other hurdles to resolve and then returned to the base problem...

1. I updated both servers to use IPv6 and immediately the ::1 was resolved but in its place it's now reporting the local-link address as not being mapped, which is just as nuts as the ::1 earlier because it's not a routable address.

2. I forgot that I'm using 2x Smoothwall boxes to link between my sites and this is not IPv6 compatible so of course that resulted in the various services trying to use IPv6 to communicate with each other and failing... Set IPv4 as the preferred and of course then discovered that while that resolved replication issues there was no link between DNS on the two units... obviously they use IPv6 to communicate and verify.

so... 3. Disabled IPv6 all over again and we're back to square one...

Overall I think the DFSDIAG error is a red herring and the real problem is something else within the network, possibly physical connectivity or something related to my VMWare setup that is dropping packets, or otherwise borking things... Either way it's [beep]ing frustrating and stopping me from actually being able to work...

So, back to anyone with any thoughts...

[best_penelope_pitstop_impression]
    Heeeeeeyyyyuuuulllllpppppp!!
    [/best_penelope_pitstop_impression]

Thank Post
    Ugh!!

Think I know what's going on now... It's likely that this is absolutely dip doodly squat to do with DFS but with my anti-virus catching things in the CSC offline files cache and removing them directly (huge no-no) thus corrupting my offline files cache... The alerts happened a few days ago and tally with when things started to go pear shaped so it makes some sense...

Not confirmed as yet but about to do a complete reinitialisation of the cache to see if that cures it... Why I didn't think of this before... Well... more flippin' fool me eh? ... Gah!

Thank Post
    Or not... Oh FFS!...

Thank Post
    Situation deteriorating rapidly now and I'm completely out of my depth...

I've wiped my cache of offline files and now any attempt to use, open or connect to the mapped network drives is resulting in an instant "offline folder" no longer connected fail.

Can anyone help because right now this is 36 hours and counting and I'm up sh*t creek minus paddle or canoe...

Thank Post
    Well... Somehow it resolved itself once I disabled offline folders in the GPO and rebooted...

However, just in case it was more than just that.. I also went through and:
    - set ownership on the shared folder and sub-folders/files
    - disabled the home folder setting for the affected user profile

Now the network location is accessible properly...

No closer to understanding the exact cause but whatever it was, I'm glad the gremlins quit...

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread