+ Post New Thread
Windows Server 2008 R2 Thread, Remote Desktop Host on Server 2008 problems.. in Technical; We've got Server 2008 running, and I've installed it on another server for use with RDP - so staff can ...
    JMB

Thank Post

Remote Desktop Host on Server 2008 problems..

We've got Server 2008 running, and I've installed it on another server for use with RDP - so staff can log in and have sessions, etc. I gather you're best off not doing that on the domain/AD server, so I've got this second one dedicated forit.

I've got this RDP server set up, and it all seems fine, I'm just adding the finishing flourishes before adding the RDP role to it (the only role it'll get!). Can anyone advise me - ought I add this RDP server to our domain, or not? I've done the whole static IP/renaming malarky, but I wanted to check with more knowledgeable people before I go too much further.

Additionally, I've set this RDP server with a static IP, but can anyone talk me through setting up a reservation for it on the domain server? I thought I'd managed it myself, but in the DHCP reservations it shows as "reservation (inactive)" rather than having a lease expiry, and when I tried to add users to the remote desktop stuff, searching for domain\users didn't work, so there's obviously a communication error somewhere. The server in question is a HP Proliant ML110 if that helps.

Thank Post
    It should be a domain member (not DC) so you can add domain users/groups (as you found you cant do); if you've set a static IP then it won't be using DHCP, therefore the DHCP server is none the wiser (hence the inactive). The reservation can stay like this, should you accidentally turn off your static IP then DHCP will save you - make sure you have created a DNS record however.

By the way when you add the RDS role, you will want to add 'desktop experience' feature also.

3. Thanks to nicklec from:

JMB (2nd February 2012)

JMB

Thank Post
    Thanks Nicklec - I've added to the domain and downloaded the Server 2008 updates. This new RDP server has a record in DNS, but I still can't seem to add roles to the RDP thing. I know full well I've missed something incredibly obvious, but it's like trying to learn Russian with a Russian-to-English dictionary!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread