+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Windows Server 2008 R2 Thread, CC3 to Vanilla in Technical; Yes, its one of those threads again. The school I'm at is in the market for some new equipment on ...

Thank Post

Question CC3 to Vanilla

Yes, its one of those threads again.

The school I'm at is in the market for some new equipment on a budget. Got everything planned, and know (hopefully) how to go about it all, involving vSphere and ESXi and SANs and iSCSI 2008 R2 VMs and 7 workstations. The problem I'm facing is how to manage profiles between CC3 and Vanilla workstations.

All workstations are eventually going to be 7. My question is this, with my new DC's do I add them to the existing CC3 domain and create everything under an OU with GPO inherit disabled, or create a brand new domain.

The idea being that they wouldn't need a CC3 set of credentials and then a Vanilla set of credentials as they moved around the school. Is this only possible with 1 domain?

Sorry if that is worded really badly, my brain hurts.

Thanks

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,572 Times in 1,252 Posts
    All workstations are eventually going to be 7. My question is this, with my new DC's do I add them to the existing CC3 domain and create everything under an OU with GPO inherit disabled, or create a brand new domain.
    You can do it either way, but I did migrate AD to a new server first.

The idea being that they wouldn't need a CC3 set of credentials and then a Vanilla set of credentials as they moved around the school. Is this only possible with 1 domain?
    Yes users could logon, but the odds are they're going to see different desktops (for example) due to different policies being set. Remember though, users will be created a new profile when logging onto Windows 7.

3. Thanks to Michael from:

TMODAlpha (11th January 2012)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    You can do it either way, but I did migrate AD to a new server first.

Yes users could logon, but the odds are they're going to see different desktops (for example) due to different policies being set. Remember though, users will be created a new profile when logging onto Windows 7.
    I can't migrate the users though straight away (assuming moving them would epically break logging on to a CC3 workstation) so I'm guessing a second domain is off the cards? I still need to leave some machines CC3 while we migrate, but if I use WMI filters (all CC3 are XP) then I can assign user and computer GPOs completely using WMI and blocked inherit for the machines OUs?

Different desktops and start menus are fine, as are profiles. As long as they can log in with the same credentials and access a file share that's all they will need. My only worry was user GPOs, but I can get around that with WMI filters until all CC3 workstations are gone.

Sound about right?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,572 Times in 1,252 Posts
    There's nothing stopping you adding a second domain controller. It works absolutely fine.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,138 Times in 1,034 Posts
    Wen I was involved in moving from Classlink to Vanilla we just created a whole new domain fresh - then over the summer period we wiped all client desktops and rolled out a new image to the machines.

Therefore we built an entire new domain (which was seperate from the current domain) and migrated things manually. The only thing we required as to reset everybody's password. All emails where exported to PST's and reimported and file where copied to new File servers and let AD set the perms when you set the home directory.

Thank Post
    Personally I would create a whole new domain just to remove all the old RM stuff etc, It has been years since I worked with CC3 but the safest option is a whole new domain and at a push recreate the accounts as sometimes the RM side of things adds extra stuff to the account which may cause problems, The My Documents side should be fine if you delete the My Settings Folder and UMFolder.ini

My CC3 Knowledge is a liitle out of date so it may not be quite accurate.

Paul

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    There's nothing stopping you adding a second domain controller. It works absolutely fine.
    Didn't think there would be, just going over different methods in my head.

Quote Originally Posted by glennda View Post
    Wen I was involved in moving from Classlink to Vanilla we just created a whole new domain fresh - then over the summer period we wiped all client desktops and rolled out a new image to the machines.

Therefore we built an entire new domain (which was seperate from the current domain) and migrated things manually. The only thing we required as to reset everybody's password. All emails where exported to PST's and reimported and file where copied to new File servers and let AD set the perms when you set the home directory.
    This was my plan, problem is people want instant results from the word go. So a gradual transition is the best for this I feel. Waiting until summer just isn't an option at this stage unfortunately. I was going to move the home folders, recreate the users on the new domain and take it from there. Don't have to worry about exchange, it's externally hosted.

Because I can't create a new domain and I'm going to have to image machines gradually during term time, are the OUs and WMI filters the best way to do it within the same domain? So that they can use both types of workstation from 1 set of credentials?

Also, there is a lot of legacy software that some subjects depend on to be able to teach, if I just cut RM out and then dealt with these after, I fear there would be a lot of lost learning time. Which also means that for some time at least, select people are going to need to be able to log on to both.
    Think the powers that be want a noticeable difference straight away, but I know if they want that it's going to be gradual rather than done all at once over summer.

Thank Post
    If you don't already have one give your staff a VPN/Terminal server for remote working - would work with existing RM network fine, that then gives them instant improvement while a summer migration goes ahead.

I know your intent to start the migration process right now but to be honest it will only cause one big pile of headaches - a summer migration truly is the only way to get this right from day one.

Thank Post
    Hmm... you can use WMI, but...

You obviously need a new OU off the root for your Win7 boxes. Keep machine and user GPOs separate. Link a machine GPO that applies to all Win7 boxes and sets loopback processing (replace), also link some security filtered user GPOs for whatever you want for different categories of user, ditto if you have different categories of machine (alternatively if arrange them in sub-OUs with different machine GPOs linked to them). No need to block inheritance unless you think inheriting GPO: Default Domain will hurt (settings in mine wouldn't).

I've never done this (loopback replace + security filtering), but it's what I'd try first in preference to WMI. If no one points out an obvious hole, then just give it a go with one test Win 7 and satisfy yourself about what GPOs hit it etc.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesfed View Post
    If you don't already have one give your staff a VPN/Terminal server for remote working - would work with existing RM network fine, that then gives them instant improvement while a summer migration goes ahead.

I know your intent to start the migration process right now but to be honest it will only cause one big pile of headaches - a summer migration truly is the only way to get this right from day one.
    It isn't me that wants to start it right away. My hands are tied on that.

Quote Originally Posted by PiqueABoo View Post
    You obviously need a new OU off the root for your Win7 boxes. Keep machine and user GPOs separate. Link a machine GPO that applies to all Win7 boxes and sets loopback processing (replace), also link some security filtered user GPOs for whatever you want for different categories of user, ditto if you have different categories of machine (alternatively if arrange them in sub-OUs with different machine GPOs linked to them). No need to block inheritance unless you think inheriting GPO: Default Domain will hurt (settings in mine wouldn't).

I've never done this (loopback replace + security filtering), but it's what I'd try first in preference to WMI. If no one points out an obvious hole, then just give it a go with one test Win 7 and satisfy yourself about what GPOs hit it etc.
    Never tried loop back, but it makes sense over WMI. I'm just restricted on time too which means my play and testing time is minimal. Which means things are going to break.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PiqueABoo View Post

We run a CC3/Vanilla combo at present on our existing RM servers without any issues, and will do until our last CC3 client is replaced and we can migrate the server.
    Just create a new OU outside of the RM Establishments and set the in inheritance, then create your new structure within it and the GPO's you want.
    You can leave users on your existing servers for now, but allow the XXX Students, xxx Teaching Staff etc modify access to the root of the Profiles share for each type so that if you using roaming profiles still the .V2 folder can be created automatically.

You can use WMI, but as the Win 7 stations would be within your new OU it will not have an impact on your CC3 ones.

You can also update the AD schema on your CC3 domain to Windows 2003 R2 level to give you printer deployment ability, and should also be able to update the 2008 schema (although I've not yet tried the 2008 one)

13. Thanks to Boredguy from:

TMODAlpha (14th January 2012)

Thank Post
    Great feedback, thanks.

Thank Post
    Marc G?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by RockStar View Post
    Marc G?
    Depends who's asking

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TMODAlpha View Post
    Depends who's asking
    Well I guess I can PM you now I've made my second post, I think that is the rule...

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast