+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Windows Server 2008 R2 Thread, Complete server replication. Is it possible? in Technical; Just created a little virtual network consisting of two servers. I setup the first and then joined and dcpromo'd the ...

Thank Post
    Just created a little virtual network consisting of two servers. I setup the first and then joined and dcpromo'd the second backup server. i then turned the main server off and created a new user on the backup and could log in with this new account so it seems to talk to both servers.

With the main server off however, if i try going into group policy management it says it cannot connect to the server. Is it possible to check if this is replicating?

It also looks like DNS is replicated as well. Would this be correct?

bio
    Thank Post
    VMware has a solution for this : VM Fault Tolerance

bio..

Thank Post
    Thanks Bio, unfortunately we are out of budget for a few months so looking for a free/cheap solution for now.

Tried recovering the c volume from a backup of our main server and booted from it but it gets to loading screen and just crashes and restarts. Probably drivers which I believe there isn't a solution for.

Will probably continue with server replication by joining the server to the domain and dc promoting it. Need to look into how to promote it to the main server if the original main server is not repairable.

Thank Post
    It also looks like DNS is replicated as well. Would this be correct?
    Yep thats right

With the main server off however, if i try going into group policy management it says it cannot connect to the server. Is it possible to check if this is replicating?
    I'll do the same and see what happens on my servers when I am next at the school.

Need to look into how to promote it to the main server if the original main server is not repairable.
    Its called seizing rolls. Not done it myself so if we both look into it and post back that would be handy.

5. Thanks to edutech4schools from:

dany2010 (12th January 2012)

Thank Post
    Thanks edutech.

Just shut down the main server on my test network and managed to seize the FSMO on the backup server. Followed Using Ntdsutil.exe to transfer or seize FSMO roles to a domain controller.

It tried to safe tranfer the role but that failed as the main server was not contactable so it just seized the role. Command result shown below. The operation masters screen now shows the rid master as the backup server.

rid.jpg

Am now going to start the main server up again and see what happens as it still thinks its the master.
    Last edited by dany2010; 12th January 2012 at 09:02 PM.

Thank Post
    You should only seize roles when you don't expect to turn the old server back on again.

Thank Post
    Yeah, but just wanted to what happens .

Update: Was a bit boring. The main server realised what had happened and it shows that the backup server is now the rid master.

Would we need to transfer the FSMO roles if we dont plan on making changes to the structure and just allow users to log in until the main server comes back online? Max 1 week of this.
    Last edited by dany2010; 12th January 2012 at 09:08 PM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12