+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Windows Server 2008 R2 Thread, AD replication shafted! in Technical; Originally Posted by teejay The only reason to keep a physical DC is to avoid the single point of failure ...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by teejay View Post
    The only reason to keep a physical DC is to avoid the single point of failure of a software bug in the virtualisation software. You could just as easily maintain a DC VM using different virtualisation software as an emergency, there is no benefit in it being a physical rather than virtual server. There used to be timing problems and all sorts in earlier versions of virtualisation software, which is why they recommended keeping a physical DC and definitely not do a P2V of a DC as the software wasn't designed for it. Nowdays that isn't the case.
    I agree you can be completely virtual, HYPERV mostly needs a physical DC, though you can bring VMs back up after power failure, I just like have the knowledge I have a physical one incase of power failure

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by manick View Post
    Hi all,

OK I can't do that as it won't let me demote DC2 because it can't see another DC to disconnect through.

Will Plan B work as follows?:

Create a DC3 and synch it with DC2 (this is the older AD, but it is only a couple of weeks out), then demote DC1 after moving it's roles over to DC3 (whilst DC1 is the latest version, I can live with 2 weeks worth of losses from AD).

Can anybody think of a reason this wouldn't work?

Thanks

Manick
    Persoanlly I'd concentrate on getting DC2 reconnected rather than risk barfing DC1 as well. Have you tried the non authorative restore method on DC2 yet? If it cannot see DC1 have you checked the DNS on DC2 and manually added a record for DC1?

Thank Post
    Bring up your DC1 and it will update the DC2 snapshots.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    after a period of having one or both servers off replication will cease to happen
    change the following REG Key on all servers
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\NTDS\Parameters
    Allow Replication With Divergent and Corrupt Partner click modify and change the 0 to a 1
    force replication
    change the registry key again
    and it should continue to replicate
    we had this on some of our 2008 servers after easter and the summer breaks as servers havent comunicated with each other in a cupple of days they need to be forced to accept the changes from one of the other DC'S. the servers tumbstone replication if turned off to prevent errors from relicating over all of the DC'S

there is a command to run to do this but i cant remeber what it was, or find it but the reg key does the same thing
    Last edited by januttall; 15th December 2011 at 12:01 PM. Reason: Additinal Information

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by 3s-gtech View Post
    Dump it and re-build. Lesson - do not snapshot DCs! System State them, but with the nature of multiple DCs you should not need to have snapshots anyway.
    Yeah, I did read about this and sometimes it doesnt work well to snapshot a DC only ever rely on the proper backup. I have just added virtual DC and it is the only virtual one. We currently have 3, when things settle I will remove GC from the email server (we are limited) and come next year I plan on having another DC so I can remove GC from our current DNS/DHCP (its the head of the forrest) and according to microsoft it shouldnt be a GC.....

As for the DC issue - do you not have a full backup?

Thank Post
    Yes, a bare metal backup to a USB drive on the main DC.

Thank Post
    Hi all,

Ok I've been away for a few days and left the network limping along (although not causing massive problems just yet). My plan was to recover DC 2 from a backup, however i noticed that, despite DC1 being a GC and owning all of the FSMO roles, when DC2 goes down, so does exchange!. So i need to figure out how to ensure that DC1 is being picked up as the GC on Exchange to ensure it stays working.

Also when I look at ADSI it shows the following USN No's

when connected to D1
    DC1 current = 3296774
    DC1 original = 13488
    DC2 current=3373620
    DC2 original=13407

When connected to DC2
    DC1 current = 3556594
    DC1 original= 215976
    DC2 current= 3664622
    DC2 original= 13418

Although DC2 is supposed to be the usn rollbacked DC, it is showing a higher USN. Should I be using this one to replicate from? and instead of demoting and promoting DC2, I should actually be carrying out this task on DC1?

The deeper i get the more confusing this seems.

Thanks for all of the info and help so far.

many thanks and merry Christmas!

manick

Thank Post
    Which version of Exch?

Thank Post
    Hi,

It's Exchange 2007!

Cheers

Thank Post
    Sorry if I've missed something but I kinda just scanned the previous posts. From what I can tell, you're saying DC1 has an upto date copy of the database?
    Can you not just do a dcpromo /forceremoval on DC2. Do a metadata cleanup from DC1, then manually delete DC 2 from DC ADUC.
    You should then be able to add DC2 back to the domain and repromote it - forcing it to pull through a fresh copy of AD.

The only consideration you now need is your Exchange issue. Without knowing your setup I'm not sure why it's only reliant on this DC. Do you DC's current sit within different sites in sites and services? If so is the subnet for exchange added to the DC2 site? It should automatically look for another GC if DC2 fails, but I can't think of any other place you nominate 1 individual DC.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123