+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Windows Server 2008 R2 Thread, Slow logons - Applying Folder Redirection in Technical; Hi, I am getting slow logons on Server 2008 R2 RDS and Windows 7 Clients. The machines seem to take ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,742 Times in 1,502 Posts
    Blog Entries

Slow logons - Applying Folder Redirection

Hi,

I am getting slow logons on Server 2008 R2 RDS and Windows 7 Clients. The machines seem to take ages to apply folder redirection settings. Its taking a minute or so to get logged on. I am having the same problem as this. I am not using the group policy "Do not automatically make redirected folders available offline" so this hotfix doesnt apply to me. If i apply this hotfix it totally breaks redirection.

Dos anyone have any thoughts please?

Thanks

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,572 Times in 1,252 Posts
    Around 90 seconds appears to be the norm for Windows 7 and roaming profiles. It can also depend on the spec of the machine, wireless speed and especially the amount of RAM can influence logon speed to a point.

There do appear to be quite a number of bugs with Windows 7 SP1, rather than security problems. Hopefully Microsoft will address all these in SP2 next year.

Thank Post
    I had a number of things go wrong here while doing our server upgrades.

Both GPO and Account setting for the profile must match.
    Went through all GPO settings (yes all) for students to make sure everything was good.
    Local profiles cleaned
    Profile folder permissions setup correctly - technet has a list of the correct settings.
    Windows 7 apparently has issues with Mandatory profiles we encountered this when changing our Forest/Domain to 2008 R2. My google advice told me Roaming profiles is the way to go so students have their own located on the server.

Strangely enough I have had a lot of issues, when its working I can log all ICT rooms 150 PCs all on within about 5 seconds. I am going to do a mass clear out in February because I still believe there are issues and the only solution I have left is because there are still old profiles on some PCs. Only way to do a proper clean is delete all profiles - from the server/desktops for a complete fresh go.

I hope any of this helps.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,071 Times in 762 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    Around 90 seconds appears to be the norm for Windows 7 and roaming profiles.
    If my endusers had to wait that long to log on they would have my guts for garters!!!

New roaming profile 25 - 35 seconds, cached profile 5 - 9 seconds

Staff and Students expectations are very high here

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by bossman View Post
    If my endusers had to wait that long to log on they would have my guts for garters!!!

New roaming profile 25 - 35 seconds, cached profile 5 - 9 seconds

Staff and Students expectations are very high here
    It really depends what GPOs you've setup. I include Folder Redirection, printer mappings, network drive mappings and other various generic GPO settings.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,071 Times in 762 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    It really depends what GPOs you've setup. I include Folder Redirection, printer mappings, network drive mappings and other various generic GPO settings.
    Me too

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bossman View Post
    Me too
    But we also use CC4. If you believed half the RM complainers on here, our logons would be even longer than what they are

Thank Post
    So for those of you who have super fast logons, what GPOs exactly have you applied?

- Folder Redirection Yes/No
    - Printer Mappings Yes/No
    - Network drive Mappings Yes/No
    - Other various generic GPO settings Yes/No
    - Roaming Profile or Local Profile?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    The servers are a good spec and the machines are i5 with 4 gig ram. The network is gigabit. With RDS the servers are in the same server room as the rest. Its just really annoying it takes so long for that to apply. We have local profile and mandatory. It shouldnt take that long to apply those settings.

Zak

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by FN-GM View Post
    The servers are a good spec and the machines are i5 with 4 gig ram. The network is gigabit. With RDS the servers are in the same server room as the rest. Its just really annoying it takes so long for that to apply. We have local profile and mandatory. It shouldnt take that long to apply those settings.

Zak
    Do you happen to have the setting 'Move the contents of Documents to the new location set' on your folder redirection settings in Group Policy?

I took it off because I was sometimes getting chronically slow logons on applying folder redirection, particularly when moving large documents areas. This just changes the pointer, and on new users with blank home directories it creates nice blank folders.
    Last edited by dhoward_westexetc; 13th December 2011 at 04:22 PM. Reason: added full GPO setting

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dhoward_westexetc View Post
    Do you happen to have the setting 'Move the contents of Documents to the new location set' on your folder redirection settings in Group Policy?

I took it off because I was sometimes getting chronically slow logons on applying folder redirection, particularly when moving large documents areas. This just changes the pointer, and on new users with blank home directories it creates nice blank folders.
    Nope that is not selected.

Thanks

Thank Post
    Hi,

We had a similar problem that plagued us for half a term, it would take up to 40minutes for a user to logon (random RDS Servers, times and logged on users).The issue would be appear to be different for each user: Apply Folder Redirection, Applying Printers, Applying User Settings it was very confusing. Finally we found this:

2008R2 - GPClient is taking a long time to handle the logon request (Up to 1 hour)

You experience a long domain logon time in Windows 7 or in Windows Server 2008 R2 after you deploy Group Policy preferences to the computer

the above hotfix has been applied for almost 3 weeks now and the problem has not resurfaced.

Mark @ Kingsmead

13. 2 Thanks to mcrompton01:

Michael (20th December 2011), robknowles (20th December 2011)

Thank Post
    Thanks I'll try this myself when I get back in January. Yet another 7 SP2 hotfix. There does appear to be a lot of bugs with 7 and 7 SP1 with regards to logging on to a domain I've noticed.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mcrompton01 View Post
    Hi,

We had a similar problem that plagued us for half a term, it would take up to 40minutes for a user to logon (random RDS Servers, times and logged on users).The issue would be appear to be different for each user: Apply Folder Redirection, Applying Printers, Applying User Settings it was very confusing. Finally we found this:

2008R2 - GPClient is taking a long time to handle the logon request (Up to 1 hour)

You experience a long domain logon time in Windows 7 or in Windows Server 2008 R2 after you deploy Group Policy preferences to the computer

the above hotfix has been applied for almost 3 weeks now and the problem has not resurfaced.

Mark @ Kingsmead
    Hi,

Just been trying this hotfix and it doesnt seem to have fixed the issue.

Anyone got any other ideas please?

Thanks

Thank Post
    Hi FN-GM,

I'm afraid I don't have anymore ideas or hotfixes could try as it solved it for us so we stopped looking.

Out of interest what folder redirection settings have you got applied (Documents/Desktop/Startmenu) and where do they point (Network Drive/Local Drive)?

One more question when redirecting their homedrive (My Documents) does the server you point them at have "File Screening Management" in place? We did find we were blocking a certain file type and that cause a problem.

That's all I can think of sorry!

Mark

17. Thanks to mcrompton01 from:

FN-GM (18th January 2012)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast