+ Post New Thread
Windows Server 2008 R2 Thread, Remove W2K8 from forest of W2K3 servers fails in Technical; Hello, I have a forest with two Win 2003 servers and a new 2008 server. w2k3data, w2k3app, w2k8data. There was ...

Thank Post

Remove W2K8 from forest of W2K3 servers fails

Hello,
    I have a forest with two Win 2003 servers and a new 2008 server. w2k3data, w2k3app, w2k8data. There was some prep work we had to run on AD prior to joining the 2008, and that was successful. At some point, someone gained access to the c:\windows directory of the w2k3data and ran a del *.*; that server became unbootable and we had to reinstall it and re promo it. (I add this tit bit because they may have missed the required steps in preparing it for 2008 after a reinstall from the 2003 disc. -- one would hope that it would have failed dcpromo if that were the case.)

Fast forward six months. Now we are trying to add some new software to the 2008 and the software vendor doesn't like the machine name and we have to change the unchangable. The plan was to demote 2008, remove AD, change name, add AD, and repremote.

I found that the w2k3data did not have a check to be a 'global catalog' server. So I checked the box in ADSS to make it a global catalog like w2k3app. I also wend into w2k8data and removed its 'global catalog' check. Then allowed 24hrs for the change to populate.

Now when I run dcpromo on the w2k8data to demote it I get an error: operation failed. ADDS could not transfer the remaining data in directory partition DC=ForestDnsZones,DC=mydomain,DC=local to Active Directory Domain Controller \\w2k3app.mydomain.local.

This concerns me because there have been no faults with w2k3app since joining w2k8data. I only have one 2008 server and it is the one I am demoting. Is there anything special about 2008 AD where certain information can only be stored on 2008 servers or is this just a AD database issue I need to resolve to get the forest back to only 2003 servers.

Thanks.

Thank Post
    if you up domain/forest function levels to 2003 you should be able to rename without demoting. But first id check which dc it thinks has what roles and any that it thinks are on the failed dc sieze

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,568 Times in 1,250 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim_F View Post
    Hello,
    I have a forest with two Win 2003 servers and a new 2008 server. w2k3data, w2k3app, w2k8data. There was some prep work we had to run on AD prior to joining the 2008, and that was successful. At some point, someone gained access to the c:\windows directory of the w2k3data and ran a del *.*; that server became unbootable and we had to reinstall it and re promo it. (I add this tit bit because they may have missed the required steps in preparing it for 2008 after a reinstall from the 2003 disc. -- one would hope that it would have failed dcpromo if that were the case.)
    The prep work - I presume you mean you upgraded the schema, as this would be required before joining a 2008 Server and then promoting it to a domain controller. I can imagine deleting many system files would of created a lot of problems, but I presume you re-installed it and then restored from a backup, or did you just start from scratch?

Fast forward six months. Now we are trying to add some new software to the 2008 and the software vendor doesn't like the machine name and we have to change the unchangable. The plan was to demote 2008, remove AD, change name, add AD, and repremote.
    I agree with Sted. By upgrading the domain and forest functional levels to 2003, you can rename a server without changing any of its roles or demoting it. You simply rename it and then restart.

I found that the w2k3data did not have a check to be a 'global catalog' server. So I checked the box in ADSS to make it a global catalog like w2k3app. I also wend into w2k8data and removed its 'global catalog' check. Then allowed 24hrs for the change to populate.
    This is fine. You only need one Global Catalog server, but the more the better.

Now when I run dcpromo on the w2k8data to demote it I get an error: operation failed. ADDS could not transfer the remaining data in directory partition DC=ForestDnsZones,DC=mydomain,DC=local to Active Directory Domain Controller \\w2k3app.mydomain.local.
    It could be failing for a number of reasons, but to rename the server (as I wrote above) you don't need to demote the server. I would check that the servers and DNS are replicating correctly. These are typically reasons why transferring remaining data fails.

This concerns me because there have been no faults with w2k3app since joining w2k8data. I only have one 2008 server and it is the one I am demoting. Is there anything special about 2008 AD where certain information can only be stored on 2008 servers or is this just a AD database issue I need to resolve to get the forest back to only 2003 servers.
    As above, I suspect it's a DNS or replication issue why remaining critical domain information cannot be transferred. I would also check which of your servers has the FSMO roles.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    The prep work - I presume you mean you upgraded the schema, as this would be required before joining a 2008 Server and then promoting it to a domain controller. I can imagine deleting many system files would of created a lot of problems, but I presume you re-installed it and then restored from a backup, or did you just start from scratch?
    They reloaded from scratch, ran updates, installed AD, but could not restore that servers AD copy from backup, so they ran DCPROMO and joined it that way.

I agree with Sted. By upgrading the domain and forest functional levels to 2003, you can rename a server without changing any of its roles or demoting it. You simply rename it and then restart.
    Well when I go into Advanced System Properties on the 2008 server and click Change on the Computer Name tab, it reports: Domain controllers cannot be moved from one domain to another, they must first be demoted... Which is fine, it will be on the same domain, so I click 'OK'. But the computer name is grayed. The Full Computer name is just displayed, so I click "More". I get the DNS Suffix and NetBIOS Computer Name window, and only the Primary DNS suffix of this computer is editable. The function level of AD is Windows Server 2003.

As above, I suspect it's a DNS or replication issue why remaining critical domain information cannot be transferred. I would also check which of your servers has the FSMO roles.
    I'll look further into replication issues.

Thank Post
    Thanks Sted & Michael!

You guys got me thinking along the right path again. Changed my thinking back to the possible. ;-)

In Windows 2008, the DC cannot be renamed through the interface, it must be done through the shell using NETDOM.
    Ref: Rename Windows Server 2008 Domain Controllers

As for the AD error, there was a replication issue. The reinstalling of the W2K3 server left some baggage behind and the fSMORoleOwner of the DomainDNSZones was orphaned. To correct the issue I had to run fixfsmo.vbs script.
    Ref: Error message when you run the "Adprep /rodcprep" command in Windows Server 2008: "Adprep could not contact a replica for partition DC=DomainDnsZones,DC=Contoso,DC=com"

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread