+ Post New Thread
Windows Server 2008 R2 Thread, Install flash via GPO, needs administrative privelages in Technical; Thought I had this working :-( I have it running as a user policy as the machine policy jus wasn't ...

Jus North of London, close but not too close
    Thank Post

Install flash via GPO, needs administrative privelages

Thought I had this working :-(

I have it running as a user policy as the machine policy jus wasn't working, is this what other people are finding.

I have the MSI file on a Windows 2003 DC, the schema ok to 2008 R2 (I checked the version). All other policies are working including the Preferences policies. The policy has been created on the 2008 R2 DC,

How are other people doing this, anyone else had problems?
    What are the recommended Policy settings?

The MSI file is in a \\[ServerName]\Sharename folder but I haven't used the FQDN path in this instance, but then again flash installs ok for me.

Thank Post
    It will not work in a user policy unless your users are local admins so you need to get it working with Machine policy. Try the FQDN path as it wont hurt to try.

3. Thanks to ChrisH from:

Davit2005 (22nd November 2011)

Thank Post

Deploy Flash via GPO

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisH View Post
    It will not work in a user policy unless your users are local admins so you need to get it working with Machine policy. Try the FQDN path as it wont hurt to try.
    Reconfigured as computer policy again using FQDN. Keep restarting and checking as a normal user. Nothing in event logs, and still old version and as before the GPO policies deployment count does not change, still at 0.

If I force an update it prompts fpr restart and seems like it finds a change as a message box pops up saying the computer is going to shutdown in a while. This is the only software I have trying to install from GPO on this machine.

Anymore ideas.

We have printers being deployed via GPO with no issues and lots of other Machine based policies even using Loopback processing for quite a few

Thank Post
    I don't profess to be an expert, but we're deploying it using a machine based GPO on two domains (of course with separate GPOs per domain). The MSI is in a UNC share. All seems to be working.

(Except that Adobe launched a new update last week and there's no MSI for that yet that I'm aware of)

Thank Post
    Going to try setting up a new share tomorrow on the 2008 server. When I run as a computer policy it always looks like it is trying to do something after gpupdate /force as it ALLWAYS asks to restart plus you get a message box indicating something is going on. On XP it would tell you during startup that it is installing managed software but you don't seem to get that on Win7.

When I had the flash install running as user policy at least there was something in Event logs but as a computer policy you do not get anything in event logs or in task manager.

I have installed plenty other software ok before now using GPO
    Last edited by Davit2005; 23rd November 2011 at 07:02 PM.

Thank Post
    What are the share and NTFS permissions on the share you are serving it from?

8. Thanks to ChrisH from:

Davit2005 (24th November 2011)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisH View Post
    What are the share and NTFS permissions on the share you are serving it from?
    The Share permission are Everyone Full, NTFS are Everyone Read.

As it almost installs apart from the needing Admin rights can't really see it been a problem with the share but may try a fresh new share from another server just incase.

Just noticed the Deploy count has gone up to one, I have the policy assigned to 24 Laptops and 25 Workstations also I have just this minute added Everyone Read to the actual GPO security tab.

Thank Post
    Well it seems to be working now as a machine policy, I guess the trick is to make the change and then give it a day to actually get going.

Logged on a a standard user restarted then logged on as a standard user again.

Checked the Event Logs and on first logon as the standard user the MSI reported that needed a restart to apply the policy changes.

Thanks to all who replied.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread