+ Post New Thread
Windows Server 2008 R2 Thread, 2008r2 from the start, anyone? in Technical; Hi guys, my first post here, I've been lurking for a while but now I need your help, please! I'm ...

Thank Post

2008r2 from the start, anyone?

Hi guys, my first post here, I've been lurking for a while but now I need your help, please!

I'm a part-time tech in a fairly large primary school, the full time tech has been on long term sick leave for months so I am basically in charge at the moment and have been asked to work more hours, which is great for Christmas

The head has asked me to replace our ageing 2003 server with a brand spanking new 2008r2 box. This is where I need some help, I have a little experience of installing a new server but nowhere near the amount needed, I really want to learn though!

Does anyone have a set of standardised build instructions I could use as a guide?

Thanks in advance

Thank Post
    Hi,
    What roles are the servers running that you want to upgrade? I'm guessing DC's, but wanted to check first.

Thank Post
    It's fairly straight forward to install the OS but if you want things like roles installing like Active Directory, DNS, File Server roles etc etc then this takes a bit more setting up & configuring but ultimately this is done once the OS is installed.

How to Install Windows Server 2008 R2 - YouTube

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,140 Times in 1,036 Posts
    Do you run an AD Network?

Essentially you would install the server as if you would any other desktop install os, install updates, join to domain, set ip's etc < this is the straight forward part.

This part is the complicated part. If you are not confident in doing it I wouldn't or ensure you have lots of backups (possibly you could convert the machine to a VM before making any AD changes then you have an easy restore job if all else fails.)

You would then need to update schema's install the server roles and then finally promote to a Domain Controller. You would then either need to migrate the FSMO roles over (schema master, Domain Naming Master, PDC Emulator, RID Master, Infrastructure Master). You can then either demote of leave be the old domain controller.

Thank Post
    Sorry yes, Domain controller running AD, DNS, DHCP (have I missed anything?)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,140 Times in 1,036 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by on_one_babe View Post
    Sorry yes, Domain controller running AD, DNS, DHCP (have I missed anything?)
    So it would be as mentioned above DNS is an option to install when you promote to a DC (i think havn't done in a while) if not then its a role that is installed before. DHCP is fairly straight forward to migrate as i think there is a migration tool. ( i use linux for DHCP so can't help there i'm afraid!)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,601 Times in 1,277 Posts
    As Glenda has mentioned, your first job is to update the schema from 31 to 47, join the server to the domain, then promote it to a domain controller.

Running dcpromo will make the server a domain controller, but also a DNS and Global Catalog server too. You'd then optionally transfer DHCP, FSMO roles and then start moving shares and printers over as required.

I make it sound all very easy, but it can go terribly wrong. I would suggest you setup a test server (totally separate) and familiarise yourself before touching a live environment.

Thank Post
    First thing to do is ask the head what he wants to achieve, He's told you what he wants, but not why he wants it.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,601 Times in 1,277 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by strawberry View Post
    First thing to do is ask the head what he wants to achieve, He's told you what he wants, but not why he wants it.
    They have an ageing server, so presumably it's time to replace it and new servers of course come with 2008 R2

I suppose (thinking about it), if you're planning to roll out Windows 7, you could simply join a Windows 7 workstation to the domain and install RSAT. You wouldn't have to touch the server at all and just roll out Windows 7.

If the server is starting to get slow or is failing etc... then a new server is a must.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread