+ Post New Thread
Windows Server 2008 R2 Thread, Software Deployment Query in Technical; Ok, Im not too sure if this is the correct area to have this thread so if there are MODS ...

Thank Post

Software Deployment Query

Ok,

Im not too sure if this is the correct area to have this thread so if there are MODS here, please move accordingly.

Onto my question.

I look after around 40 Infant, Junior and Primary schools in the local area, the systems that i have been putting in place has been made generic across all site which is good and allows for consistancy when other techs cover my schools at work.

However one thing i havent really had time to sit down and trial is making packaged software generic. Currently im using packaged MSi's from say SchoolA but when i go to SchoolB who's server is named according to the school i have to either edit the packages where needed which TBH is only a small pain, or repackage the software.

All software on my servers reside in the following path: \\servername\Apps\Software Title

Is there a way when packaging that i can build a library of software where the server name isnt relevant and get away without having to edit them due to server names being different. For the majority of software its ok but when i comes to packages with central data paths (sherston) its inconvenient and time consuming.

Ive been using WinInstall LE and have had a quick go on WISE which i think i will move over too eventually.

All comments welcome guys.

Cheers Buddy.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,602 Times in 1,278 Posts
    I'm struggling to understand why the server name is relevant. You either create or download an MSI (such as Adobe Flash), create a GPO then link it.

Unless you mean you're creating a GPO and then exporting/importing that GPO to other sites? If so, then the server name would have to be the same at each site. You wouldn't have the need to tweak the policy at all.

You can actually rename a Windows Server. You can do this with Windows Server 2003/2003 R2 or 2008/2008 R2.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,749 Times in 2,322 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Use Orca to make MSTs with the customisations for each package for each school is probably the esiest way.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    I'm struggling to understand why the server name is relevant. You either create or download an MSI (such as Adobe Flash), create a GPO then link it.

Unless you mean you're creating a GPO and then exporting/importing that GPO to other sites? If so, then the server name would have to be the same at each site. You wouldn't have the need to tweak the policy at all.

You can actually rename a Windows Server. You can do this with Windows Server 2003/2003 R2 or 2008/2008 R2.
    The reason the server name is relevant is say a piece of software is packaged at school A. And that software has a central save location on the server, this would get set either during the MSI capturing process or in a system info file which is telling the application where to look for its centrally located saves date.

Some software (older stuff in particular) doesnt come with an MSi hence the reason im packaging. Im not relating to flash or anything with a current MSI.

Use Orca to make MSTs with the customisations for each package for each school is probably the esiest way.
    Yeah, that is what im trying to avoid but i think i may just have to carry on with it.

In an ideal world i would like the packaged software to know (if its even needed) where the look back. The only part of a UNC that differs is the server name, the rest of the UNC is generic as the software comes from a library of ours.

E.G

\\schoolA\Apps\Sherston Magic Grandad\Saves
    \\schoolB\Apps\Sherston Magic Grandad\Saves

Which is why im thinking the only way to to get round this is to make server names across all schools the same.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,648 Times in 2,049 Posts
    Blog Entries
    How about putting in a DNS CName to alias the server names?

Also, what about the licensee name in these packages? By packaging at one school and using elsewhere, will you not end up with the wrong name displaying on some packages?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    How about putting in a DNS CName to alias the server names?

Also, what about the licensee name in these packages? By packaging at one school and using elsewhere, will you not end up with the wrong name displaying on some packages?
    Funny, someone actually mentioned about a CNAME in DNS to me this morning, that is the otehr obstackle, guess ill just be editing forever.

Thanks though guys.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,749 Times in 2,322 Posts
    Blog Entries
    If you use CNAMEs then you'll need to run the reg tweaks on it to allow it to respond to a different name otherwise it will block it as its a security hazard.

Thank Post
    Hi,

I work on the Technical HelpDesk at Sherston Software. I’m very sorry to hear that this has been causing you some frustration.

It looks as though you might be installing the software to – and running it from – a network share?

If this is the case, you can use relative paths within the initialisation file – e.g.:

Code:
    Datapath=appdata\
    Savepath=saves\
    If you do encounter problems with Sherston Software titles, we're available by telephone on 01666 843224 and email to support@sherston.com from 0830 to 1700, Monday to Friday (bank holidays excepted!)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread