+ Post New Thread
Windows Server 2008 R2 Thread, IE9 Internet Zone Problems in Technical; Hello all, Recently I installed KB2530309 on Server 2008 R2 to enable IE9 GPP . I then did the following ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,575 Times in 1,254 Posts

IE9 Internet Zone Problems

Hello all,

Recently I installed KB2530309 on Server 2008 R2 to enable IE9 GPP. I then did the following described here.

The pop-up exceptions now work correctly, but I've been having an absolute nightmare with the IE9 Internet Zone. By default it's supposed to be Medium-High, but with IE9 GPP, it keeps setting itself to Custom and in the process disables Javascript. This stops many websites working properly, such as Google.

If I remove the IE9 GPP things return back to normal. In some cases however, I was still forced to change the settings back manually from Custom to Medium-High.

Even if I forced the Internet Zone security level in a GPO, the IE9 GPP still changes Medium-High to Custom.

Has anyone else experienced this problem? Many thanks!

Thank Post
    I decided to abandon IE9 + GPP. I get the same results using RSAT and it's just too problematic.

It just worries me the fact Microsoft want to promote IE9, yet when it comes to the network administrator, all the tools are not working correctly. By the looks of things, we'll have to wait for Windows 7 SP2 and 2008 R2 SP2 to get 'proper' IE9 + GPP support. This could be another year away!

Other IE9 GPOs work absolutely fine. Very frustrating I have to say!

Thank Post
    I had the same problems with IE8 when i used GPP so it isnt restricted to IE9. I found the only solution was to go through all the custom settings and change them back to their usual values but like you i gave up in the end.

It is such a pain that the popup blocker exception GPO is broken and it looks like Microsoft can't be bothered to fix it.

Thank Post
    Exactly this is what I have found too. It's interesting IE8 has the same problems, bearing in mind it's been around for years now. This was one of the perks upgrading from XP with IE8 to 7 with IE9, as it's a much nicer browser.

I can only come to the conclusion GPP is absolute rubbish at the moment until Microsoft fix it properly. Deploying network drives and registry edits work absolutely fine.

Thank Post
    I'm having the same problem.

Have you tried creating a new GP for the pop-up blocker exceptions rather than using GPP?

Thank Post
    @drewp - The standard way of specifying Pop-up Blocker settings via GPO doesn't work with IE9. This is why I looked at the GPP alternative, but this is also broken.

Someone at Microsoft does need a good kicking really. It is an annoying problem and we shouldn't have to wait for Windows 7 SP2 and 2008 R2 SP2, which could be another year away.

Thank Post
    @Michael - you have obviously spent more time looking at this than me!

I thought that the patch was meant to fix the problem of IE9 reading the standard way of setting Pop-ups, i tried a new OU with a new GP and as you said, its not applied

Been testing with IE9 this morning with a new GPP applied to a new OU - even then it seemed it created problems for users in a different OU without the new GPP applied

This really needs someone to sort this out, they should fix IE9 so it accepts the standard way of setting pop-ups and not add another complication...

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread