+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Windows Server 2008 R2 Thread, No Logon Servers Available to service the logon request in Technical; I am having lots of network issues at the moment, but I think I've narrowed it down to messed up ...

Thank Post

Unhappy No Logon Servers Available to service the logon request

I am having lots of network issues at the moment, but I think I've narrowed it down to messed up DNS.
    When I try to login from a workstation I get the "No Logon Servers..." message and the event viewer showed a number or errors including Netlogon and LsaSrv (all are attached as workstation.zip).
    At the same time the server see's a netlogon error with a dynamic dns registration error (attached as servererr.txt)ServerErr.txtWorsktation.zip

I have been working on this for a few days and have checked all the DNS settings as well as I can.
    • For DNS, The server points to itself, the WS points to the server.
    • They can ping each other.
    • NSLOOKUP works from the server and the workstation.
    • Simple and recursive queries pass from the monitoring tab.
    • Dcdiag /fix --> everything passes

But logons still don't work, if I do eventually get logged on I can't browse the server under Computer/Network, I can't type the server name into explorer and I can't connect to shared drives.

Any ideas?

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,047 Times in 1,490 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I had this before with laptops, turned out they needed an DNSFlush, IPRelease and IPRenew and that fixed the issue for me

Do it with the local logins so you are not waiting an age for them to log in (if they get that far)

Thank Post
    Thanks for the advice, gave it a try but no joy. I went in on a few workstations, flush, release, renew (sounds like a spa treatment) and it didn't make any difference.
    I even rebooted them and waited a half hour but no luck!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    hmmm, I know it sounds really daft but are your switches managed/smart switches or dumb switches?

If managed, are they doing VLANs and are the VLANs working?

Failing that, can you do an ARP -A command on the server and see what is connected (IP wise) to the server? Once done and you have the list, do a ping to each IP and make sure they can ping...if they cant, do a tracert to see where it stops (could be a switch not working or something).

If that still does not work, take the machines off the domain, reboot the machines, remove them from the OU on the server, then re-add and replace into the OU (I find this is the last resort which will work, but I like to explore all other avenues first so I know it wont happen again)

Thank Post
    Have you tried;

netsh winsock reset

I have no idea what it does, how or why, but it fixes a lot of networking issues I come across!

6. Thanks to Jawloms from:

Niall (2nd November 2011)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Netsh Winsock Reset is not a bad idea actually if everything else has been exhausted

Thank Post
    Right, I'm not in the building with the server so I thought I'd try your suggestons.
    I can't remote desktop into the server so I decided to log in locally to a WS, leave the domain, change the computers name (effectively deleting it from the OU) and then trying to rejoin the domain, however I can't join.
    I go through the Change method and the Network ID method and both error out saying, network path not found. I did the netsh netsock reset too, but no joy.

To your other question, yes we do have managed switches with vlans, but (as far as I know) it's just one big happy vlan on them all.
    I'm now going to go over to the server and grab an 8 port dumb switch and go directly from a WS to the server and see if that cleans things up.

Any other ideas? Would I be faster starting again and building a new server? I have about 150 pc's and about about 1000 teachers and students to worry about (all of whom have been giving me dirty looks lately).

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Right, at the server do the ARP-A command like I said...are you able to do a tracert from the machine to the server IP?

as for rebuilding that could take ages to get everything how it was...

10. Thanks to featured_spectre from:

Niall (2nd November 2011)

Thank Post
    We had the same problem this week and turned out to be a faulty switch. If you have more than one switch available, try temporarily swapping the cables to a know good port and see if that solves the problem.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    That is why I am suggesting to a tracert to see where in the line it actually stops

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by nephilim View Post
    That is why I am suggesting to a tracert to see where in the line it actually stops
    Lol, still asleep this morning completly misread most of the posts on here. Thought he didn't have access to the server and was just thinking of our problem where the switches are located in the room next door to our fault. Was easy just to pop next door, change a couple of lead and see there was no connection.

Thank Post
    Ok did arp -a from server and had a big list of IP's, did a tracert to one of the WS's and it completed in one hop.
    Did a tracert from WS to server and it completed in one hop.
    Plugged the server and one WS out of the network and into an 8 port dumb switch and did the same tests with no change! Still couldn't log in to a domain account and when I did (eventually) get in I couldn't see the server, only ping it. Could I be missing or have a messed up DNS entry that points to the DC?
    I know DNS works from the point of view of pinging and nslookup.

Thank Post
    I'm back at the server now, have one workstation here beside it with all the common problems and an 8 port switch to use for hardware troubleshooting (if needed again).

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    DNS could be causing issues, its not unheard of, have you reset the DNS and dumped the DNS Cache on the machines?

Thank Post
    What do you mean by reset the DNS? I went in and deleted all the DNS entries for the machines on the server. Then did a dns flush, release, renew on a WS.
    The one thing I notice in DNS under my domain is that only a very few workstations have entries, where as DHCP has all the PC's (about 150).
    DNS only has about 10 in the list. I thought the DHCP would automatically register A records for each workstation? Could I have accidentally deleted a record for my server? I can see the A record, does it need a CNAME one too?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast