+ Post New Thread
Windows Server 2008 R2 Thread, Server disk config in Technical; Ive got a win 2k8r2 Dell poweredge r710 server and I'm planning to add a couple of disks to it. ...

Thank Post

Server disk config

Ive got a win 2k8r2 Dell poweredge r710 server and I'm planning to add a couple of disks to it. Currently I've got a two drives in a raid1 array and a virtual disk and 4 in a raid 5 array making a second virtual disk.

According to the help it's very easy to add disks in to the virtual disk (follow the "reconfigure" wizard) and presumably this will appear as free space on the disk that I can partition as I wish.

So basically I want to know is it as easy as the help makes it sound? Will it all work fine with the server running or will it require a re-boot?

Obviously here will be plenty of backups but I just thought I'd see if there were any pitfalls I should be carefully of.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,626 Times in 1,455 Posts
    Seems about right get the dell tools installed on the server add the drives expand the array.

Ben

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,626 Times in 1,455 Posts
    I would have also gone for raid6.

Ben

Thank Post
    Tools installed. And I need the disk space more than the redundancy...

Just wondered if it's actually as easy as the help claims

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,069 Times in 760 Posts
    @Stuart_C:

If you have data already on the second virtual disk you will have to destroy the data as new disks have to be initialised. As you have stated though this should not be a problem as you have backups.

Just turn the server off and put in the disks and then on boot up follow this tutorial:DELL Tutorial: Create RAID Using PERC 6/i Integrated BIOS Configuration Utility

Once setup restore your data from backups and voila! easy!

Thank Post
    You see that's interesting. The actuall instructions give the impression that it's all do-able though the server config manager (in Windows) and that you can add to the size of a virtual disk without destroying it.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,717 Times in 2,302 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuart_C View Post
    You see that's interesting. The actuall instructions give the impression that it's all do-able though the server config manager (in Windows) and that you can add to the size of a virtual disk without destroying it.
    Assuming its like the hp ones just shove the drives in and they should show up in the manager, add them to the virtual disk and it should expand over the span. When it has rebuilt the space should show up in disk manager on your server but you will have to expand the partitions. If they are not system partitions you can do this live under diskpart (2003 or disk manager (2008 and above).

If you are changing the type of RAID then you may have to rebuild depending on how much memory you have in the controller as it takes some space to migrate between some RAID levels.

Thank Post
    Despite me being nervous as this was my first time (adding disks to the array) it seems to have gone OK.

Whacked the disks in, reconfigured the virtual disk to include the extra physical ones, wait 6 hours for the array to rebuld (even though not changing the RAID level) and refresh the storage in Server Manager and I now seem to have an extra "600"GB of storage.

Will let it back up over night then I'm going to risk expanding a partition and adding some new drives to put stuff on.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread