+ Post New Thread
Windows Server 2008 R2 Thread, Terminal Server intermittent error messages in Technical; Shamelessly stolen from my colleague Andrew Brookes on the RM Communities forum: Hi all, I'm hoping someone can help with ...
    Thank Post

Terminal Server intermittent error messages

Shamelessly stolen from my colleague Andrew Brookes on the RM Communities forum:

Hi all,

I'm hoping someone can help with this. Sometimes when a user logs on to one of our four terminal servers using the IGEL thin clients we have, the server will refuse to allow them to log on with the message:

"The task you are trying to do can't be completed because Remote Desktop Services is currently busy. Other users may be able to log on."

The servers (which are running Win 2008R2) aren't stressed or overloaded. We've googled until our eyes bled, but every solution doesn't seem to apply or help. So far we've tried:

The suggestions here: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/...4aeece-4c91-4e 6d-9093-cc8ac0d5573c
    Changing the Rss, autotuning and chimney settings on the NICs
    Forcing disconnected sessions to close after one minute
    Changing the print processors to winprint/RAW
    Checking DNS and Replication (all working as expected)

The message is intermittent - it will affect a user one day, then not the next (although when it happens they will consistently be unable to log on for an hour or two). The servers automatically restart in the early hours, so I guess that could be clearing whatever is causing this temporarily. Some sites said Zonealarm can cause it, but we don't have that or any other firewall switched on.

I may have missed something but I think that's everything. It's very frustrating! If anyone has ideas please post and I'll try them out.

Thank Post
    Are they logging off properly ?

Thank Post
    Hi User3204,

We think the users are logging off correctly and sessions are ending correctly (none or few left hanging). We think we have found the solution for us. We use IGEL thin clients across the site and found that they were offering their smartcard port to the terminal server (although they didn't have one). We have disabled this and testing the result. Fingers crossed, 4 weeks in!

Mark

Thank Post
    Have you checked how many free licenses you have? Are you using user or device licensing?

Thank Post
    Sorry for the late reply, we have plently of licenses left in fact over 50 and for reference we use the per device model. We are now however getting a different error:

Randomly when a user logins in it can take between 20-40minutes, nothing is wrong with DNS as this is setup the same for workstation and laptops, yet only the terminal servers have this issue. Anyone got any ideas?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread