+ Post New Thread
Windows Server 2008 R2 Thread, By design or a problem? - DNS in Technical; Since removing two DCs over the summer i've had repeated DNS errors, they only related to the two removed zones ...
    Thank Post

By design or a problem? - DNS

Since removing two DCs over the summer i've had repeated DNS errors, they only related to the two removed zones and didn't appear to be causing a problem so I'd left it alone until i had time to fix it. That time is now....

I'm in ADSI edit, I've opened the DomainDNSZones and expanded.......now I'm a bit confused as i have two containers named "CN=MicrosoftDNS" one looks correct and has all up to date entries in, the other though looks like DNS from over a year ago!

The error these two removed zones are giving are:
    Code:
    The DNS server encountered error 32 attempting to load zone 82.18.172.in-addr.arpa from Active Directory. The DNS server will attempt to load this zone again on the next timeout cycle. This can be caused by high Active Directory load and may be a transient condition.
    I've deleted the two containers with the old non-existing zones and that's fixed the above errors, but i'm mainly still posting this as i'm curious as to why there is so much old data in a second identically named folder? Is this on purpose or a DNS **** up?

EDIT: there are some records in this second folder dating back to servers that were removed in 2007!

Thank Post
    yeah, ive had similar things happen in the past. I think DNS seems to have problems keeping up to date sometimes which can cause more serious problems than you have had.
    As a general rule, if I carry out major network config and that type of thing, I always check through DNS and clear out any old records manaually as I dont trust DNS to do it itself!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,602 Times in 1,278 Posts
    It sounds to me you've removed two DCs, but you haven't checked whether or not any old Nameservers are left on your Forward and Reverse Lookup Zones and your Zone Transfers.

Open up DNS Server, in turn expand your Forward and Reverse Lookup Zones and select 'Properties'

Remove any old entries from the Nameservers tab, then have a look at the Zone Transfers. Again, remove any old entries here (if applicable).

Another task - On each server network adapter, check the static configuration and remove any old DNS servers. You need to do all this on every DC you have.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    how did you get on with this ?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread