+ Post New Thread
Windows Server 2008 R2 Thread, Strange folder Redirection issue. Possibly DHCP/DNS related? in Technical; We have redirected Documents and Desktop as well as Start Menu, Pictures etc. In the past 2 weeks I've had ...

Jus North of London, close but not too close
    Thank Post

Strange folder Redirection issue. Possibly DHCP/DNS related?

We have redirected Documents and Desktop as well as Start Menu, Pictures etc.

In the past 2 weeks I've had 2 occasions where the users desktop and documents are not mapping.

Both occasions I have done a ipconfig /release then ipconfig /renew and this fixes the problem without logging off.

Our DHCP server is set to give infinite DHCP leases (which I've never used or seen before) and I am thinking that this is causing the issue, anyone experienced this problem before?

Thank Post
    are you using UNC or mapped drives for the redirect, mapped drives often appear to late for the redirect to work correctly. The DHCP lease time is unusual, I limit mine to 7 days. I have 600 devices and 1022 address available but some devices (laptops) have more than 1 nic. You want a balance you don't want the DHCP server thrashing to much with crazy 5 minute leases, of filling up with massive 1 year leases.

Thank Post
    We use UNC paths
    For documents \\servername\HomeShare\%UserName%\My Documents
    For Desktop \\servername\HomeShare\%UserName%\Desktop

Yes I've never seen DHCP setup like this before, maybe a RM or CSE idea/implementation. I've recently upgraded the domain to 2008 R2 and have all Windows 7 Domain Clients. I have demoted one of the old DC's but it is still a DNS but not referenced in the DHCP options.

Would the fact that it was sorted by a ipconfig /release /renew indicate some sort of stale DNS records on clients, I have only noticed the issue since upgrading to Windows 7 in last month, having worked here since April 2011?

Thank Post
    Just spotted on technet blog this quote and since I've changed the DNS settings on the DHCP server to point to a new DNS server it makes sense why forcing an address change on the client sorts the problem.

Quote Should I have INFINITE lease time?

It’s technically possible and most of the devices support it but the recommendation is never to have infinite lease time. The main reason is that any change in network configuration on dhcp server will not be updated on the client as the client will not trigger renew. Also it’s reported on some site that few devices don’t behave properly with INFINITE lease time and result in service crash and other issues. So if you are dhcp admin and want to avoid unnecessary issues it’s recommended not to have INFINITE lease time"

Would this make sense and be logical to anyone else (I realise IT is rarely logical, too many variables)?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread