+ Post New Thread
Windows Server 2008 R2 Thread, Moving Virtual Servers ( lack of space means it can't migrate) in Technical; So I'll set the scene. Most servers in the school were virtualised over the last year, with the VHDs being ...

Thank Post

Moving Virtual Servers ( lack of space means it can't migrate)

So I'll set the scene.

Most servers in the school were virtualised over the last year, with the VHDs being stored on the local hard drives until a SAN was purchased (was awaiting the new budget). So the budget comes and a SAN is purchased and conencted via iSCSI, using Failover Clustering and Cluster volumes etc.

I successfully migrate several servers to the SAN through SCVMM. The migration goes from E: to C:\ClusterStorage\.... and all works fine until the following.

When I try to migrate the file server, now the file server is approximately 700GB and currently stored on a servers local drive (E: ) I need to move it to my SAN (which has 6 TBs free, so plenty of room) but the way you access this space is through C:\ClusterStorage\... This means when I right-click and try to migrate my file server I immediately get an error of target drive does not contain enough space (which is kind fo true as C: but it isnt C: where the data will end up).

I hope the above makes sense.

So I'm wondering since I imagine a few people have already solved this problem, how did you or can you think of a way to move the server? Will moving the files manaually work?

Any help is appreciated.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,570 Times in 2,187 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Disconnect the data drive and move it manually?

Thank Post
    Well that is the only option I can think of, power down the server (which i would have to anyway) and then move the VHD file myself, then in the Virtual Server point it to the right VHD file again. I was wondering if I am missing some trick to do this.

I am assumign with the manual move windows won't check the space free first (it never normally does) and just try to move the file until the drive is full (which it become).

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread