+ Post New Thread
Windows Server 2008 R2 Thread, Logon Failure issue in Technical; Just got a strage issue occur on the network, everything has been fine and worked fine this am yet come ...
    Thank Post

Logon Failure issue

Just got a strage issue occur on the network, everything has been fine and worked fine this am yet come this lunchtime/pm intermittent issues of PC's not logging on for 'Logon Failure: the target account is incorrect' and saying we dont have permission to access the global desktop folder. Bit of research shows I can browse the backup server by ip and name but the main server by ip only, by name it fails with the same error (global desktop held on here).

Any ideas or will a reboot work? Desperate to fix this as I'm not in tomnorrow and cant leave it like this.

Thank Post
    If you can see the ip but not the name of the server its probably a DNS issue. Check your A, NS and PTR records for your servers.

How many DNS servers do you have?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CHR1S View Post
    If you can see the ip but not the name of the server its probably a DNS issue. Check your A, NS and PTR records for your servers.

How many DNS servers do you have?
    Only one DNS server on the domain, but as for checking those records I'd need more info on how to do it and what I'm supposed to be looking for. This kind of problem is a bit beyond my current knowledge.

Just rebooted both servers and all seems to be back up and running, can browse by name and IP whereas before I could only browse the main server (dns, dhcp etc) by IP which is why things failed I thing, it just did not know how to process the server name and hence redirections for folders. profiles and desktop etc.

Interested to know what it could have been though, some mismatch between the servers although I have my suspicions about the backup server as it has hung in the past.

Thank Post
    In simplest terms - A, NS and PTR

"A" record is the host record (computername) and its associated IP address, type computer name and it links to its IP address. 10.x.x.x = Computer A

"PTR" is the opposite - Computer A = 10.x.x.x

"NS" is Name Server Record, and tells all that ServerA is a name server (with DNS installed)

What you were seeing was the DNS being unable to find or process the A record for the server, you typed serverA and it couldn't match it with the correct IP.
    As to why it happened and why a restart fixed it is somewhat unknown.

5. Thanks to CHR1S from:

TechSupp (29th September 2011)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread