+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Windows Server 2008 R2 Thread, Network Printer Server 2008 R2 in Technical; Hi All, Our network has been completely flattened this summer as we have wiped all the servers and installed Server ...

Thank Post

Network Printer Server 2008 R2

Hi All,

Our network has been completely flattened this summer as we have wiped all the servers and installed Server 2008 R2, wiped all client PC's and installed Windows 7 x86.

Everything went smoothly and all the GPO's we created are working a treat. But we are currently having an issue with printers. We tried several methods for deploying printers and found the most reliable way to be running a script to map the printer and then also determines the PC name and sets a default printer. All seemed to be running perfectly but recently we have been getting a script error on random PC's saying something along the lines of Unknown port specified. This can be solved by logging in as an administrator going into print management and deleting the print drivers. After this the PC will work for a few days then will error again.

Please can anyone help me resolve this issue as it is driving me mad having to login to various PC's everyday to delete drivers just for it to happen again.

Thank Post
    We were experiencing the same problem, i resorted to setting up 2003 R2 server and installing all the printer specific drivers rather than the HP universal driver we'd been using on 2008 R2.
    It appeared on our machines that the driver repository files were there but the HKLM\system\currentcontrolset\control\print\enviro nments\windows NT x86\drivers had the infpath listed as blank so it couldnt find it when it tried to reinstall.

Thank Post
    Hi Sturgeo,

I think I may have to do the same and set up a 2003 R2 server simply for the printers. On the server 2008 R2 server I installed a few vista x86 drivers for printers which only had the universal driver available on the HP website. I think this may be the cause of PC's randomly getting errors as they are getting the printers mapped. It seems that server 2008 R2 is simply rubbish at handling older printers especially when HP does not supply up to date server 2008 r2 drivers.

I will have a check in the registry of one of the faulty PC's and see if the same fault occurs as you are describing.

Thank Post
    Checked the registry of a faulty PC and sure enough exactly the same as you described Sturgeo.

I am currently in the process of setting up an i5 PC to run as a Server 2003 R2 print server. Will let you know how I go on.

I believe it must be a fault with a 64bit Server not being able to deal with x86 print drivers, very disappointing really

Thank Post
    could you not just setup a 2003 VM in hyper-v on one of your 2k8R2 servers

Thank Post
    One quick suggestion, does your server (which will be x64) have the x86 drivers installed onto it? If not, the printers won't deploy unless you force them to install from a package.

Once you've got the drives in place, in GPO Preferences, you will find the Printers section which is by far the easiest way to deploy printers to a 2008R2 / W7 setup as you can target machines / users based on various settings.

It's what I'm using now and it works a dream, but the drivers are a big issue as 2008R2 won't let you add in the x86 drivers manually, you have to do it from an x86 domain machine by navigating to the server, double clicking the printer in question at which point it will ask for where the drivers are and then upload them to the server for you which will allow you to deploy across your network then.

Hope that helps
    Andy T :-)

7. Thanks to soveryapt from:

spik376 (30th September 2011)

Thank Post
    Hi Andy T,

Yes the server has both x64 and x86 drivers for all the printers. I tried using the GPP methos for deploying printers but the logon times were dramatically increased so I stuck to using a script to map the printers as the logon time was much quicker this way.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by spik376 View Post
    Hi Andy T,

Yes the server has both x64 and x86 drivers for all the printers. I tried using the GPP methos for deploying printers but the logon times were dramatically increased so I stuck to using a script to map the printers as the logon time was much quicker this way.
    Interesting, I found the logon times were reduced when I went to the preferences method as it's a much more natural way for them to be handed out. Did you force policy updates on the machines as once they have the policy they are fine, I had a couple of slower ones when I had run a gpupdate on them, but since then they've been brill ..

Anyway, I guess it's the old thing of if it's working, get on and fix the stuff that isn't and come back to see if you can make it prettier later .. lol ..

Thank Post
    I deploy mine in a GPO using Group policy Preferences and it works a treat.

Thank Post
    After a bit more investigation I think it is because I have been adding Server 2008 x86 drivers as the additional x86 drivers rather than Win 7 x86 drivers . I am going to delete all drivers and printers restart the server and then re add the printers. Then add the win 7 x86 drivers using the method described by Andy T and figers crossed this will work.

12. Thanks to spik376 from:

soveryapt (30th September 2011)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by spik376 View Post
    After a bit more investigation I think it is because I have been adding Server 2008 x86 drivers as the additional x86 drivers rather than Win 7 x86 drivers . I am going to delete all drivers and printers restart the server and then re add the printers. Then add the win 7 x86 drivers using the method described by Andy T and figers crossed this will work.
    keeping fingers crossed .. it's a flippin nightmare and is the biggest ball ache about 2008R2 I reckon, the inability to add the correct x86 drivers directly on the server ..

Thank Post
    So cleared all the printers and drivers off the server, re-added all printers with x64 drivers for Server 2008 R2 then added x86 drivers via a domained win 7 PC. Deleted all old drivers from PC's in the ICT rooms and all worked fine for one morning and now just back to square one with students getting script error saying "specified port unknown"

Only way I can see to solve the error is to login with administrator delete all drivers from print management and restart print spooler.

But if I keep doing this I will be going round in circles!!

Thank Post
    Are you using the Unversal drivers? i use the drivers proved by Windows Update and i have no troubles.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jamin100 View Post
    could you not just setup a 2003 VM in hyper-v on one of your 2k8R2 servers
    This is what we ended up doing, works a treat. So well I forgot it was there for a few minutes and couldn't work out where all the printers had gone from the server!

Thank Post
    Sounds like I will have to do the same, never touched hyper v is is pretty straight forward to set up?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast