+ Post New Thread
Windows Server 2008 R2 Thread, Fatal error when updating dcdiag.exe in Technical; Hi everyone, this is my first post here so bare with me if I leave out needed info. I updated ...

Thank Post

Fatal error when updating dcdiag.exe

Hi everyone, this is my first post here so bare with me if I leave out needed info. I updated Win Server 2k8 R2 last night, and now it crashes with a fatal error when updating "dcdiag.exe". I have tried booting in safe mode to roll back the updates, but even when booting in SM the OS insists on trying to install the updates before loading; it's automatic. I have tried using WUSA to manually uninstall KB updates in the command prompt, but that will take about 3 years to finish based on how many updates there are, not to mention I can't discern which updates are related to "dcdiag.exe". I have also taken out the mirror RAID drive and renamed the SoftwareDistribution folder in hopes that it would no longer look for the update files, but still it updates. I am essentially 'locked out' of Windows and can only use the command prompt or extract the HD to edit on another computer to make changes. I have, of course, also used all the repair tools on the install CD to no avail. This one really has me stumped, I wish I'd never hit update. If anyone has some insight into the issue it would be VERY much appreciated. Thanks in advance for your suggestions!

Scott

Thank Post
    Have you done a 'last known configuration' (though risky)

Thank Post
    Or.. what role is the server? cant you move roles temp onto another server and re-build old?

Thank Post
    Yes, I tried using the LKGC, no use as it does not find a restore point to use. The server houses a SQL database of medical records and xray info, so rebuilding it would take a lot of time. It's a possibility if all else fails, but I was hoping there would be an easier way to simply make Server stop trying to install the update. Thanks for your response, it's appreciated!

Thank Post
    All can think of then is do re-install windows server over the current copy then remove windows.old

Thank Post
    thought o be honest you re taking a risk either way so I would do a system restore, shouldnt take long, prob quicker

Thank Post
    I have tried to do a system restore, it comes up with an error and a request to forward that info to Microsoft, which I do; but it does not provide much info in the way of why it can't repair the system. Again, I thank you for your responses, I really appreciate you taking the time to help.

Thank Post
    The other issue at hand is that the current server was setup by someone else years ago, and all the server data that points remote computers to the server database would take a long time to rebuild. It can be done if there's no way to ignore the updates, but because so much programming has been done I would really love to recover the old server OS settings.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread