+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Windows Server 2008 R2 Thread, Conficker virus - advice needed in Technical; I haven't read the other answers but to clean this off one of my schools I had to disconnect EVERTHING ...

Thank Post
    I haven't read the other answers but to clean this off one of my schools I had to disconnect EVERTHING from the lan and make sure all servers were clean

On each machine, I ran the sophos root kit/conficker removal tool - if the machine had an infection i rebooted and ran it again and then did a scan with Malabytes malaware just ot be sure.

Once I'd done this - i reconnected machine to network.

All computers set to not autorun USB drives and all USB devices with memory in them e.g cameras as well as pens) were banned from school until I personally had checked them and then they were not allowed on school machines if they were taken home - they had to be handed back to me again for rescanning .

It took a week - i did the classroom teacher machines first.

Been clean for a year now

Good Luck

Si

Thank Post
    I'd also go software or driver conflict. If an AV and Microsoft's tool isn't finding anything, it won't be conficker. Probably isn't even a virus at all.
    Slightly odd that the council IT guy would tell you that and give you no proof of it, nor help you resolve it

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by JMB View Post
    We have considered reinstalling all the drivers, but surely if it was a driver issue, the sound/LAN wouldn't work full stop. As it stands, it all works, but the respective services stop spontaneously...
    - Unfortunately iffy drivers can cause all sorts of problems

I would sort out the 3 infected machines before doing anything else then rescan and if the network is clear pick a PC thats playing up and reinstall the drivers on it.

I’ve had strange problems with drivers in the past; sound stopped working on a newly imaged PC, I had to revert to an older driver rather than the new one I had put on the image. Upgrading the nic driver on a server caused network problems to appear on all of the workstations and I had to upgrade the driver on every workstation in school to fix that problem.

I would check that the latest drivers are installed if they already are you should consider installing the previous version and see if that makes any difference.

Also if you have gig network cards connected to gig switches remember that XP has a problem with them (although they shouldn’t stop working) and you need to disable media sense via a reg entry or group policy doesn’t always get applied.

Thank Post
    If you still have problems after running another scan and updating the drivers look at any software that installs a service. I once had a problem where the remote software our lea used would crash the print spooler on the server – good luck!

JMB

Thank Post
    **UPDATE**

Thanks to everyone for their advice, some great suggestions. I've done a full virus scan of the entire network, and only 3 machines had any trace of Conficker on them. Ironically, none of them on the domain, and therefore none of them the PCs that had issues with sound/network dropping. In the process of logging in to these machines locally as admin, I noticed svhost.exe error messages. All these PCs are XP SP3, clean installs from a ScoMIS disc. Clean bill of health from every antivirus and spyware scan I throw at them. And I've thrown a LOT at them lately! I upgraded the .net framework on a couple of them, which seemed to fix the svhost.exe messages. I then went into the services themselves and set the Windows Audio and network services to restart if they are stopped for any reason. BUT - this still doesn't stop these services stopping. And having stopped, they still won't restart automatically.

So...anyone got any other ideas?!

Thank Post
    We get McAfee from ScoMIS too and it caught any traces of Conficker immediately (surprised me tbh!) which stopped the virus spreading across the entire network. Therefore unless your version of Mcafee (EPO 4.5 on server and 8.7 patch 4 on desktops) is horribly out of date I don't think you will have Conficker on your network.

What does the affected PC event logs say?
    Are you sure the correct drivers got installed?

Try updating / reinstalling the PC's chipset, sound driver and network driver and see if that helps fix the problem.

Thank Post
    Clean bill of health from every antivirus and spyware scan I throw at them.
    Unless ALL your USB memory devices have been checked .. you can't sleep safe at night

Si

JMB

Thank Post
    Well...I've reinstalled all the drivers for everything on one of the PCs. Still getting the svhost.exe error message. This is what the error log says about this:

Event Type: Error
    Event Source: Application Error
    Event Category: (100)
    Event ID: 1004
    Date: 30/09/2011
    Time: 14:14:08
    User: N/A
    Computer: ICT04
    Description:
    Faulting application svchost.exe, version 0.0.0.0, faulting module unknown, version 0.0.0.0, fault address 0x00000000.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at Events and Errors Message Center: Basic Search.
    Data:
    0000: 41 70 70 6c 69 63 61 74 Applicat
    0008: 69 6f 6e 20 46 61 69 6c ion Fail
    0010: 75 72 65 20 20 73 76 63 ure svc
    0018: 68 6f 73 74 2e 65 78 65 host.exe
    0020: 20 30 2e 30 2e 30 2e 30 0.0.0.0
    0028: 20 69 6e 20 75 6e 6b 6e in unkn
    0030: 6f 77 6e 20 30 2e 30 2e own 0.0.
    0038: 30 2e 30 20 61 74 20 6f 0.0 at o
    0040: 66 66 73 65 74 20 30 30 ffset 00
    0048: 30 30 30 30 30 30 000000

Going to leave this machine on for a while, see if the problem of sound/network dropping returns. If it does, we're going to wipe a machine and start over with it, from reinstalled XP up...

Thank Post
    Just had a thought. Mcafee blocks all sorts of things randomly; make sure it isn't blocking svhost plus other processes. IT used to block dns.exe plus all sorts of programs that interact with Exchange as it thinks it's a "mass mailing worm."

JMB

Thank Post
    Nothing McAfee does would surprise me! Bless it. Good idea - I'll give that a try!

Thanks again for all the ideas - always grateful for more! Have a good weekend all!

Thank Post
    Windows Update is one of the things that can cause svchost errors so this might be worth looking at:
    You receive an error message after a Windows XP-based computer runs an automatic update, and you may be unable to run any programs after you close the "svchost.exe - Application Error" error message dialog box

I know its not a solution but if you disable the sound device in control panel do you still continue to get svchost errors?
    I'm just wondering if its the audio driver causing the svchost errors or if its the svchost error causing the audio problem...

Do you have a WSUS server for your microsoft updates? And if the Answer is yes do you use WSUS to update drivers as well? - I removed the driver option on our WSUS server after an automatic update on one workstation messed it up so much I needed to do a full reinstall - I now only perform driver updates manually.

JMB

Thank Post
    #Today's update#

Reinstalled ALL drivers, and removed McAfee (in case that was causing issues somewhere) - problem still occurring. PCs left on but not logged in lose their network connectiopn and cause local profile logins, and PCs left logged in drop connection and lose sound. The sound/network services can be restarted if it's a local admin account that's logged in, but obviously this doesn't help in situations where teachers or student accounts are logged in. I've got a call logged with ScoMIS about it, as I'll be honest, I can't think of anything else!

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,552 Times in 1,981 Posts
    Blog Entries
    This all sounds remarkably complicated, why not simply reimage all the machines and be done with it? I had a brief scan through and couldn't see anything saying you couldn't do this?

JMB

Thank Post
    Well, I thought the same thing. We originally built a new image with a clean XP SP3 install, then imaged all our PCs; along the way, installing the relevant drivers and saving new images of different models as we went. So I don't see how an issue could have arisen with ALL the PCs. And my fear is that if we use the existing images we'll have the same problem, and if we repeat our original work (setting up new images, etc.) we're just taking up a lot of time with the same potential problems at the end of it. We're going to test a Windows 7 installation today, see if that's any better.

JMB

Thank Post
    WIndows 7 appears to work fine...will therefore try a completely clean XP installation tomorrow to see if the problem comes back. I guess if it does, the issue has to be something to do with the server.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast