+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Windows Server 2008 R2 Thread, Map Home Drive via GPO in Technical; Originally Posted by Michael Here are some additional tweaks I have made: All Tested on Windows 7 SP1 and Windows ...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    Here are some additional tweaks I have made:

All Tested on Windows 7 SP1 and Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1.

Note: \\SERVER.domain.domain represents the FQDN (Fully Qualified Domain Name)

Folder Redirection Update 23.10.11
    Thanks for posting your setup Michael. It is always useful to see how others have configured things (although there is sometimes more than one way of doing things).

For some reason I had problems with these settings you suggested.
    1. Documents - Redirect to the user's home directory
    2. Pictures - Follow the Documents Folder
    2. Music - Follow the Documents Folder
    2. Videos - Follow the Documents Folder
    3. \\SERVER.domain.domain\%Username%$\Saved Searches
    4. Application Data (Not Applicable)

1. When setting this as you suggested, in Win 7 I found software (Word 2003) would default to the local C:\users\username\documents folder to open and save files. This seems to correspond with Libraries>Documents which inside Document Library Locations was showing as C:\Users\username\documents as the default folder. However after changing the Documents redirection using Method 2 at When you redirect the Documents folder on a Windows Vista-based or Windows 7-based computer to a network share, the folder name unexpectedly changes back to Documents It now shows the network location (\\servername\users\teachers\username\My Documents) as the default location in Libraries and Documents and no longer tries to save to C:\users\username\documents. I just wondered how you managed to get around this by setting it as Documents - Redirect to the user's home directory.

2. When I set these as Follow the Documents Folder, I found that the Administrator on the server was not granted permissions to view these folders as a result of not being able to select "Grant the user exclusive rights to My Documents" (See Administrators cannot access users My Music / My Pictures / My Videos folders ). After I had changed these to:
    Basic - Redirect everyone's folder to the same location
    Create a folder for each user under the root path
    \\servername\users\teachers
    All 3 settings boxes ticked
    Leave the folder...
    Then when the folders were created, administrators had access to read the folders. Again, I am wondering how you got around this by setting this to Follow the Documents Folder, as I could not find another way around that problem.

3. Do you mean Saved Games? I could not find a setting called Saved Searches. Only Saved Games which you have not mentioned.

4. I have decided to Redirect Application Data. However I am unsure whether I should redirect this to:
    \\servername\users\teachers\username\Application Data
    or
    \\servername\users\teachers\username\Application Data\Roaming

Thank Post
    I use Autoshare to do all the donkey work for me, so don't get the impression I am manually sharing folders I don't think the method of sharing should influence speed dramatically and if it worked for 2000 why not 2008? They're still very similar in many respects.
    I have tried looking for information on Autoshare but could not find anything. Do you have any more information please?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,572 Times in 1,252 Posts
    1. When setting this as you suggested, in Win 7 I found software (Word 2003) would default to the local C:\users\username\documents folder to open and save files.
    There's nothing wrong with the GPO settings you've set, but of course you need to make sure you specify the home folder per user. In Active Directory, right click a user and select Properties. Select the Profile tab, then specify a drive letter and the home folder path. It would read something like:

H: \\SERVER.domain.domain\Username$

or

H: \\SERVER.domain.domain\users\teachers\username

Make sure the user themselves has Full Control to their home folder and optionally Domain Administrators (recommended).

When I set these as Follow the Documents Folder, I found that the Administrator on the server was not granted permissions to view these folders as a result of not being able to select "Grant the user exclusive rights to My Documents"
    As a recommendation, you should untick Grant the user exclusive rights to My Documents. I specify Basic - Redirect everyone's folder to the same location and then Redirect to the user's home directory which would link to the above setting I mentioned earlier.

Do you mean Saved Games?
    Yes it was probably a typo by me, there's only Searches and Saved Games, but the clever thing about Folder Redirection is you can name a redirected folder whatever you like.

I have decided to Redirect Application Data.
    I would probably advise against this as there are numerous 'problems' with redirecting Application Data. If you wish to redirect it anyway, then the path would read either:

\\SERVER.domain.domain\%Username%$\AppData\Roaming

or

\\SERVER.domain.domain\users\teachers\username\App Data\Roaming

Please note, there isn't a gap with AppData (above), but for some reason I cannot remove it.

Thank Post
    I have tried looking for information on Autoshare but could not find anything. Do you have any more information please?
    You can download AutoShare and Unshare for free here

Thank Post
    You can download AutoShare and Unshare for free here
    Thanks for the link. It looks like it is discontinued though and the E-Mail link for AutoShare no longer works.

Thank Post
    It is discontinued, but you can sign up for free and download it. It works absolutely fine on 2008 R2.

Thank Post
    I guess they must have changed something recently, as The download E-Mail says:

Thank you for your interest in . Below you will find links to download as well as links for any bundled products, supporting documentation, and technical support.

[SECTION_HEADING]

Technical Support

Click here for product support.

Click here for information about MD5 Checksums.

I tried to download another product from them and got sent an E-Mail with all the links included.

Thank Post
    This is very helpful, question though. Control Panel is still displayed on my desktop after redirecting the desktop to \\server1\user.desktops\student ? Which works fine btw.

Do you disable UAC?
    Last edited by flashsnaps; 19th September 2013 at 10:33 AM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by flashsnaps View Post
    This is very helpful, question though. Control Panel is still displayed on my desktop after redirecting the desktop to \\server1\user.desktops\student ? Which works fine btw.

Do you disable UAC?
    Not sure why Control Panel is showing on the desktop. It isn't there by default, however it is there on the Start Menu.

And yes, I do disable UAC. In a controlled/managed environment you don't need it, plus common applications such as SIMS do not work properly with it enabled.

Thank Post
    I have only skim read this post so sorry if I have missed something.

In your first post you say you are trying to map the H drive via GPO. Why are you not using AD users to map the home drive? I have found this to be far better for mapping home drives.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123