+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Windows Server 2008 R2 Thread, Map Home Drive via GPO in Technical; Thanks I think that maybe why mines a bit sketchy sometimes. Just changed it over so will have to see ...
    Thank Post
    Thanks I think that maybe why mines a bit sketchy sometimes. Just changed it over so will have to see if it helps

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,568 Times in 1,250 Posts
    Please post back when you've tried making the change I'm curious to see if it does work for you too.

3. Thanks to Michael from:

Davit2005 (12th October 2011)

Thank Post
    will do the next lesson is probably enough to see if it works, especially for the appdata folder which was very intermittent

Thank Post
    Just logged in a few test students but I get a access denied message for creating the appdata folder. Do you have your permissions for that share so I can check they are right. I have students with change permissions on the share and modify for the ntfs.

Jus North of London, close but not too close
    Thank Post
    Thanks Michael,
    I have seen people mention about using FQDN on paths in 2008 so I could try that.

Something peculiar to note. I went thru event logs for logons and found that everytime the 'My Pictures' folder was not mapping, the other folders (except for Start Menu which was always getting mapped) were intermitent. So I tried changing from server name to IP address to the path of the server only on the My Pictures folder and since doing that and a local profile clear I do not seem to be having any more problems with any of the redirections and any of the staff that were having the same issue so maybe this also points to using the FQDN in the path.

I shall give it ago if I have any more probs, maybe do it over half term either way.

Once again thanks for reply

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by cromertech View Post
    Just logged in a few test students but I get a access denied message for creating the appdata folder. Do you have your permissions for that share so I can check they are right. I have students with change permissions on the share and modify for the ntfs.
    I redirect Appdata, so it actually appears within the root of a user's My Documents. The permissions are set as Full Control (on the share) for the user themselves and Domain Administrators and that's it.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Davit2005 View Post
    Thanks Michael,
    I have seen people mention about using FQDN on paths in 2008 so I could try that.

Something peculiar to note. I went thru event logs for logons and found that everytime the 'My Pictures' folder was not mapping, the other folders (except for Start Menu which was always getting mapped) were intermitent. So I tried changing from server name to IP address to the path of the server only on the My Pictures folder and since doing that and a local profile clear I do not seem to be having any more problems with any of the redirections and any of the staff that were having the same issue so maybe this also points to using the FQDN in the path.

I shall give it ago if I have any more probs, maybe do it over half term either way.

Once again thanks for reply
    In theory if you set Pictures, Music and Videos to 'follow' the documents folder it should just work. I haven't had problems redirecting users files/folders myself, just the desktop shortcuts.

Thank Post
    Here are some additional tweaks I have made:

All Tested on Windows 7 SP1 and Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1.

Note: \\SERVER.domain.domain represents the FQDN (Fully Qualified Domain Name)

Folder Redirection Update 23.10.11

Application Data (Not Applicable) - Microsoft offer a fix here, but it's messy, so I decided not to redirect AppData.

\\SERVER.domain.domain\Icons\Curriculum\Desktop

\\SERVER.domain.domain\Icons\Curriculum\Start Menu

Documents - Redirect to the user's home directory

Pictures - Follow the Documents Folder

Music - Follow the Documents Folder

Videos - Follow the Documents Folder

\\SERVER.domain.domain\%Username%$\Favorites

\\SERVER.domain.domain\%Username%$\Contacts

\\SERVER.domain.domain\%Username%$\Downloads

\\SERVER.domain.domain\%Username%$\Links

\\SERVER.domain.domain\%Username%$\Searches

\\SERVER.domain.domain\%Username%$\Saved Searches

Permissions

On the Icons share, specify the following permissions:

Everyone - Read & execute, List folder contents, Read

CREATOR OWNER

Authenticated Users - Read & execute, List folder contents, Read

SYSTEM - Full Control

Domain Admins (DOMAIN\Admins) - Full Control

Administrators (DOMAIN\Administrators) - Full Control

Also make DOMAIN\Administrators the Owner of the Icons share too.

Home Share

\\SERVER.domain.domain\username$

Profile Share

\\SERVER.domain.domain\Profiles$\username

Policy Tweaks

Computer Config > Policies > Admin Templates > System > Logon - Always wait for the network at startup and computer logon - Enabled

Computer Config > Policies > Admin Templates > System > User Profiles - Set maximum wait time for the network if a user has a roaming user profile or remote home directory - Enabled - 10 Seconds

The Welcome screen may be displayed for 30 seconds during the logon process after you set a solid color as the desktop background in Windows 7 or in Windows Server 2008 R2. I think this only applies to Windows 7 RTM, but using GPP, I applied it as recommended by Microsoft.

You encounter a long logon time after you enable the "Do not automatically make redirected folders available offline" Group Policy setting in Windows 7 or in Windows Server 2008 R2

This affects Windows 7 RTM, Windows 7 SP1, Windows Server 2008 R2 RTM and Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1.

And today, I've come across this: You experience a long domain logon time in Windows 7 or in Windows Server 2008 R2 after you deploy Group Policy preferences to the computer I've downloaded the fix and will be testing it next week.

This affects Windows 7 RTM, Windows 7 SP1, Windows Server 2008 R2 RTM and Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1.

10. 4 Thanks to Michael:

dave.81 (26th October 2011), pcguywilson (1st December 2011), stevenlong1985 (11th July 2012), zag (4th June 2013)

Thank Post
    Remove Security Warning Messages

When opening Internet Explorer shortcuts using a redirected desktop, you will most likely receive a Security Warning window. There are lots of 'how to' guides floating on the net, but none of them worked for me, but this did (though my own experimentation)

User Config > Policies > Admin Templates > Windows Components > Internet Explorer > Internet Control Panel > Security Page - Site to Zone Assignment List - Enabled

Click on Show, then input your server's FQDN e.g:

\\SERVER.domain.domain with a value of 1, then apply changes.

12. Thanks to Michael from:

Jollity (24th August 2012)

Thank Post
    \\SERVER.domain.domain\username$

Do all your users have Their home drive shared then?
    I asked about this on edugeek and most said that this was the win 2000 way of doing thinks and shouldn't be done on 2k3/8??
    Tia

Thank Post
    Yes all my users are shared this way. It's one way of going about it and I've used Active Directory ever since Windows 2000.

Migrating from 2000 > 2003 R2 > 2008 R2 over the years, I've kept the same system. The only difference is I enter the FQDN as 2008 R2 seems to prefer it.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,135 Times in 1,031 Posts
    I don't share each users folder, it might just be me but from my experience the servers i've used over the years the ones that have been setup in the way that each user has its only share they havn't performed aswell as having a share for say staffdata and studentdata and them filtered out down the tree i.e server\share$\intake10\%username%

This is not based on fact nor do i have anything to prove just based on experience. I know there are a few people around that agree (i'm afraid i can't remember who it was as it was a long time since we discussed) but there are just as many people that disagree and many in the middle that are not sure!

Thank Post
    We are using "File Server Resource Manager" to control quotas. Whether its a bug or supposed to be like this for a reason i dont know. But each user, in "My Computer" shows the whole server drive quota not their individual quota set by FSRM. So they see the nice graph/bar in win7 and think "oh ive got 500gig of 1tb left."
    The only was to get they to show the correct quota is share each home drive, but ive read as Glennda has said this might have a hit on performance.

Thank Post
    I think there are lots of factors really which could affect performance. Server specification, network speed and number of users.

I use Autoshare to do all the donkey work for me, so don't get the impression I am manually sharing folders I don't think the method of sharing should influence speed dramatically and if it worked for 2000 why not 2008? They're still very similar in many respects.

As for your quota issue, I suspect it's because Windows Server looks at space per volume, rather than per quota. I do agree though, it does seem a little pointless if the end user cannot accurately see how much space they have left.

From memory, I think there's a setting or GPO which can inform the user when they have 10% left of their quota. This may be worth exploring.

Thank Post
    Just to add my 2p, we've moved from a 'share for each person' to a 'one share with separate folders' approach of the last few years and I think it did contribute to a performance increase. I can't prove this in any way, just gut feeling. It does also mean that AD automatically creates home folders for you and you (in theory) don't have to go and share it or anything extra.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast